• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft preping the bolt for paint?

Shooter606

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2008
East Tennessee
can anyone post a pick of what i should tape off. i know i have to tape the face and lugs, but is it only the front of the lugs or on all sides? im painting my Rem 700 sps so there is plenty of room for a little paint.. can someone confirm...thank you.

Re: preping the bolt for paint?

I would tape off the whole lugs, bolt face, the sear assembly and paint it with the striker down. None of this shows when the rifle is locked and loaded.

Put it in the rifle. Paint everything that shows while you paint the rifle. Done.

If you do that, when you lift the bolt handle you will expose the whole unpainted portion of the bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do that, when you lift the bolt handle you will expose the whole unpainted portion of the bolt. </div></div>

OMG then what would happen, Im sure he will make it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would tape off the whole lugs, bolt face, the sear assembly and paint it with the striker down. None of this shows when the rifle is locked and loaded. </div></div>

But then he'd have an unpainted ring on his cocking piece when locked and loaded.......and who wants a ring when cocked?

Pervert, leave his cocking piece out of this.

For fuck sake, I'll draw the rest of the map: After painting, lift bolt handle and paint there too. That way, hadji doesnt see the bolt, just in case you are shooting supported off of him.

First question should have been what are you painting it with? Rattle can or one of the gun coatings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That way, hadji doesnt see the bolt, just in case you are shooting supported off of him. </div></div>

LOL

Why is it that everyone adds something to confuse the person who asked the question in the first place? Leave your dick jokes out and respond to with somthing somewhat related to the subject.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it that everyone adds something to confuse the person who asked the question in the first place? Leave your dick jokes out and respond to with somthing somewhat related to the subject. </div></div>

First off, Fuck off.
Hopefully shooter606 has better reading comprehension than yourself.
My comment about the cocking piece being unpainted was referring to MrHumble's reference to paint with the bolt striker forward. I did that on the last rifle I finished and didn't like that the exposed part of the cocking piece was unpainted when the rifle was cocked. So MrJRmoderator, you should be able to see that my post was relevant and something related to prepping a bolt for paint (the topic), actually gleaned from my experience.
The joke was an afterthought after I typed. If you can't handle a joke here and there grow a thicker skin.
Secondly, Fuck off.

If I offend your sensibilities you can be another one to utilize the "pussy button".
ignore-button-demotivational-poster.jpg

Hey I got the idea at this point i'm going to remove it and tape it off. I can't stand to do a half done job. Thanks for the posts and if you can't take a joke get out of the hide.

My kind of shooter!
If you use an epoxy base finish be sure to let pieces cure completely (AlumnahydeII says 1 week, but unless I use it on preheated metal that I cure in the AZ summer dry heat in the garage it will still "grab" when two finished surfaces interact.
I agree w/MrHumble (on something finally) that where the cocking piece/sear interact should be taped off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it that everyone adds something to confuse the person who asked the question in the first place? Leave your dick jokes out and respond to with somthing somewhat related to the subject. </div></div>

First off, Fuck off.
Hopefully shooter606 has better reading comprehension than yourself.
My comment about the cocking piece being unpainted was referring to MrHumble's reference to paint with the bolt striker forward. I did that on the last rifle I finished and didn't like that the exposed part of the cocking piece was unpainted when the rifle was cocked. So MrJRmoderator, you should be able to see that my post was relevant and something related to prepping a bolt for paint (the topic), actually gleaned from my experience.
The joke was an afterthought after I typed. If you can't handle a joke here and there grow a thicker skin.
Secondly, Fuck off.

If I offend your sensibilities you can be another one to utilize the "pussy button".
ignore-button-demotivational-poster.jpg
</div></div>
You know what is sad about this is that you actualy thought I was speaking about you.
I personaly don't like the idea of having a half painted bolt and if you were to take it to a gun smith and have it painted, showed up to pick it up and only half was painted well you get the idea. But if you want to half ass quality for somthing that only looks good when closed then go right ahead, no harm done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You know what is sad about this is that you actualy thought I was speaking about you.
</div></div>

Hmmmmm, said "re:sobrbiker883" and I made the dick joke. If you weren't referring to me, I guess an apology is in order.

I concur that the bolt should be disassembled and everything finished, except just behind the lugs forward, and the engagement surface of the cocking piece.

Actually a shine on your cock(ing piece) ring excites the girls and lets us old guys keep a firm bolt longer.

Hell paint whatever you want. Gunny painted nothing and still killed a lot of bad guys.
Even used a WOOD stock and a scope without Mildots! Hard to believe!

CP-34.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Hmmmmm, said "re:sobrbiker883" and I made the dick joke. If you weren't referring to me, I guess an apology is in order.

I concur that the bolt should be disassembled and everything finished, except just behind the lugs forward, and the engagement surface of the cocking piece. </div></div>

It always replies back to the last person who posted. I believe almost everyone used a dick joke within the conversation. I don't realy care, mine was part truth, part sarcasm. Sorry if I pissed on anyone!

I also find that if you want the coating to stay at all you need to blast the bolt with aluminum oxide to give it some bite. Disassemble and mask as already posted before blasting. If you let it fully cure it will be there......for a while. Lather rinse repeat.
Rob

thanks guys, this is just a temp fix i plan on getting a professional job when i get a better barrel, but i cant stand the black evil too much longer lol.