• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prepping new brass?

IdahoSpud

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I just spent $350 on new Peterson brass for my 300 WinMag and I don't want to jack it up.

It says "New and/or fired cases must be full-length resized or have the expander ball of the sizing die run through the case neck prior to loading."

How do I adjust my FL die to only have the expander ball run through the neck? Do I just screw the stem all the way down?

Would it be better to just set up my FL die from Forster according to the directions and FL size all of the new brass? They are the "long" version that headspaces off the shoulder instead of belt. Wouldn't an FL size cause it to headspace off the belt?

If you just want to use the expander ball to fix up the necks.. put the case in the shell holder, run it all the way up.. then with the expander out screw the die down until it contacts the case back it out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Drop the ram, then screw the expander back in...

If the expander ball is associated with a decapping pin, down near the mouth of the die, you can probably get away with just running the brass just far enough into the die to go over the expander ball without even touching the sides of the die. A little bit a case lube on the inside of those necks wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: marchboom
Or honestly, if the brass doesn’t have any obviously effed up necks, just load it.

He probably doesn't have one.

This is how I prep my new brass by the way.. use a mandrel and some lube.

Why not just run an appropriately sized expander mandrel through the necks to clean them up.

Last edited:
My new brass prep: remove from box.

Done.
yeah it seems pretty bs that we can't just primer, powder and bullet new brass. is there a real reason the manufacturers cannot get it ready to load? is there a reason we don't want it ready to load?

Reactions: rancher5
yeah it seems pretty bs that we can't just primer, powder and bullet new brass. is there a real reason the manufacturers cannot get it ready to load? is there a reason we don't want it ready to load?
Not all chambers are the same and some require more brass prep/sizing than others
He probably doesn't have one.

This is how I prep my new brass by the way.. use a mandrel and some lube.
If not he can and should buy one.

The issue is that the necks of a lot of brass is much smaller than you would normally size to. It causes excess neck tension, which can raise pressures, which can have consequences depending on the load.

I'm not sure why so many brass brands have small necks when new, but it's not like it's a major issue. It takes less than 5 seconds per case to run through a mandrel or use an expander ball.

Dents from shipping several hundred loose in bulk?

Can someone link me a mandrel setup that I should get for my 300 WinMag?

Expander mandrel die from 21st century - then you will also need the mandrel for 30 cal - get the black nitride one

EDIT: For the 300 WM, get the extra long body

Expander mandrel die from 21st century - then you will also need the mandrel for 30 cal - get the black nitride one

That’s were I get mine. Mine are titanium nitride but it looks like he is phasing those out in favor of the black nitride.

My Alpha comes in a nice cartridge holder type box. No denting or any other foolishness. That is why I move to Alpha from Lapua. I’m tired of paying for match grade brass to have it banged up en route.

Alpha still recommends chamfering and running over a mandrel, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThingsThatGoBang

Thanks. They have a 2 week process time to ship right now, so I think I'll buy one from Sinclair or something

He has peterson brass i never had to run a mandrel in peterson 308 or 7rem mag brass now Lapua i always had to becouse I had to much neck tension.

The last peterson brass I bought came in plastic ammo boxes like I usually have to buy. I still hit them with an expander ball, chamfer and deburred them.
Yea I’m trying to find some of those little unicorn 🦄 turds in 280 Ackley.......

If you plan on doing any level of load development in the virgin brass you have 3 choices that come to mind.
1. You can always just lube your cases well and run them into the full length size die. Use a bore mop, good lube and lube the necks well. Manufacturers ship their cases with preservative or something that will make the ball work overtime getting through your cases. I then wet tumble to get the manufacturers "stuff" and lube off then chamfer and deburr.
2. Lee Collet Neck Size die (no lube required). Pay careful attention to die set up and read the instructions.
3. One of the mandrel type dies (lube suggested...but not as much as option 1)

I have tried to go directly from the box to reloading a few times, It doesnt work. Every dinged case is going to give you more neck tension and a hard seat.

The PMA expander body is just as good as any of the others and accepts all other mandrels. I would suggest getting both the expanding and turning mandrel. One will give you .002 neck tension (Expanding). The other a little less Neck turning)

Last edited:
If you plan on doing any level of load development in the virgin brass you have 3 choices that come to mind.
1. You can always just lube your cases well and run them into the full length size die. Use a bore mop, good lube and lube the necks well. Manufacturers ship their cases with preservative or something that will make the ball work overtime getting through your cases. I then wet tumble to get the manufacturers "stuff" and lube off then chamfer and deburr.
2. Lee Collet Neck Size die (no lube required). Pay careful attention to die set up and read the instructions.
3. One of the mandrel type dies (lube suggested...but not as much as option 1)

I have tried to go directly from the box to reloading a few times, It doesnt work. Every dinged case is going to give you more neck tension and a hard seat.

The PMA expander body is just as good as any of the others and accepts all other mandrels. I would suggest getting both the expanding and turning mandrel. One will give you .002 neck tension (Expanding). The other a little less Neck turning)

Thanks. These were the only ones in stock without a long processing time so I bought them.

With new Peterson brass be sure to lube the inside of the case neck before the mandrel, the lube will also help with consistent bullet seating, one shot or imperial on a q tip works great.

Lube the inside of the neck. Screw the die down until it touches the shell holder. Measure your shoulder with a comparator bump gauge. Size one, measure again on the bump gauge, if the shoulder didn’t move your good to go. Screw out or in based on how the shoulder moved until you get zero movement. Takes 2 minutes tops and you already have a fl die it sounds like