• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prescription ballistic lenses

GhengisAhn175

Last known
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Last known
Anyone know of any prescription ANSI Z 87+ rated eyewear that’s also rimless/frameless like the Oakley tombstone or the smith optics pivlock echos?

Spblade, trying to avoid inserts unless it covers the full length of the glasses. Right now using m frames with inserts and I find myself having to adjust my sight since the prescription inserts I have are very narrow.

tact will look at ESS options

Spblade, trying to avoid inserts unless it covers the full length of the glasses. Right now using m frames with inserts and I find myself having to adjust my sight since the prescription inserts I have are very narrow.

tact will look at ESS options
Oakley owns (at least used to) ESS

Yeah, they used to have prescription lenses that was built into the actual lenses themselves but stopped doing that a long time ago

Not sure if its full length (or what exactly you need) but if you want basically the best glasses around look at Rudy Project. They make custom glasses, prescriptions, have a ton of different setups and are overbuilt yet for the most part extremely lightweight and minimalist.

They focus heavily on lens quality.

Thanks German will look into those.

im having to rely on prescription lenses more but need them to be ballistic rated. I hate using inserts because they’re really small.

one thing I did find was that Oakley does these prescription type stick ons to lenses which I also may consider because it offers more viewing area and unobstructed.

as far as the actual glasses go, I do like the frameless types.

I have Oakley Flak 2.0 prescription lenses. Oakley did the lenses themselves at their factory in California.

15751438480994743527301453178738.jpg

thanks for sharing 1911;

talked to someone at Oakley; they can’t do it for the tombstone and the other fits of their frames doesn’t work. Seems like the smith optics are my only choice at the moment without having tried other brands and frames outside what’s Army issue.

And they certainly can’t do it for the M frames.
I did find through searching three companies that would custom make prescription lenses to work; i emailed them to see if they can do the smith optics. At this point don’t care if it’s “inserts” As long as it’s the type like Oakley does currently. I haven’t found a good nose piece insert that gives me RX vision through most of what I’m doing.

I guess I’m making this difficult and realizing it’s such a niche market. Having the ballistic rating really throws it off; can’t do PRK/lasic at the moment and contacts are out of the question.

I would check with sport rx, they were good to deal with on my rx sunglassed. I like mine a lot. Pretty sure they do a bunch of companies rx lenses

Check with Oakley, prepare to pay.

Alternative- I got lasik and know can wear whatever glasses I want (sun, eyepro, or just to style around). I like options and would rather pay one time than multiple times to replace glasses ;)

Was going to recommend www.tacticalrx.com, but I think they are the same company as the above mentioned sport rx. I've been considering them for a while, but they are pricey. EDIT: TacticalRX is the same as Sports Optical. i think Sports RX is a different company.

Another option is Hunters HD Gold. They are more affordable and pretty popular with action shooting sports competitors right now.

Last edited:
Check with Oakley, prepare to pay.

Alternative- I got lasik and know can wear whatever glasses I want (sun, eyepro, or just to style around). I like options and would rather pay one time than multiple times to replace glasses ;)

I've been thinking about this to correct my astigmatism, but the problem is your eyes can still degrade over time to where you might still need prescription lenses anyway. So, it's a bit of a gamble at the roughly $5k price point.

Reactions: Tactmedic
I agree, but shop around, many of the lasik centers offer LEO/Mil discounts. They also offer lifetime touchups. The only thing many cannot fix is if you need readers, but Its been 3 years for me and the only glasses I get now Shades and EyePro (both needed here in Florida). Shop around, I got both my eyes for 3k ;)

I agree, but shop around, many of the lasik centers offer LEO/Mil discounts. They also offer lifetime touchups. The only thing many cannot fix is if you need readers, but Its been 3 years for me and the only glasses I get now Shades and EyePro (both needed here in Florida). Shop around, I got both my eyes for 3k ;)

Ha, I'm in FL too (Tampa area), but I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the LEO/Mil discount. Where did you get the Lasik done if you don't mind me asking?