• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Present for a friend, need advice.

CF_Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
East Coast, Canada
Hello,

So I'm thinking about buying a friend of mine a Remington 870 as a graduation gift. I've been toying with the idea of writing a message on it. I was wondering if anyone would know how to do so in a way that will last but not ruin the gun: I have metallic sharpies but that'll wear off pretty quick, and I don't want it to rust because it was engraved.

Might go with the sharpie,

James

A "gunsmith" will likely not have the requisite skill to do a proper engraving. And, any personalization will surely reduce the "value" (as in resale value) of the gun. Just as a woman with some dude's name tatooed on her ass reduces her potential dating pool, a gun with some random person's name on it (or an other personalization) will have a reduced pool of potential buyers. If, on the other hand, resale value is of no concern (and one should like that a thoughtful present would not be sold by the recipient) then ruining the value of the gun should not be a concern. Firearms have been engraved for hundreds of years. And, those that were done well and were well taken care of did not rust away due to the embellishment- even those not made from stainless steel...

A "gunsmith" will likely not have the requisite skill to do a proper engraving. And, any personalization will surely reduce the "value" (as in resale value) of the gun. Just as a woman with some dude's name tatooed on her ass reduces her potential dating pool, a gun with some random person's name on it (or an other personalization) will have a reduced pool of potential buyers. If, on the other hand, resale value is of no concern (and one should like that a thoughtful present would not be sold by the recipient) then ruining the value of the gun should not be a concern. Firearms have been engraved for hundreds of years. And, those that were done well and were well taken care of did not rust away due to the embellishment- even those not made from stainless steel...

Yes, my concern not not ruining the value of the gun but making it rust easily. The gun will be used hunting and will be getting wet. I just want to get my buddy a life time gift.