• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

President's One Hundred tab

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
Does anyone know the specifics of earning this tab? I've only seen one here at Bragg and as many of you know, Ft Bragg is overflowing with SF, Ranger, and Sapper tabs. I'm really curious as to why there aren't more President's One Hundred tabs around here.

I know the tab gets awarded at the Camp Perry National Matches to the top 100 military and civilian marksman in the nation. What kind of competition? Are they using M1As? M16s? What kind of ranges are they shooting at?

~ZL

Re: President's One Hundred tab

It is awarded for the top 100 shooters military or civilian in service rifle (AR15 or M1A) competition. I beleive the match is called the Presidents match, held during rifle or pistol week at the Camp Perry matches.

I'm guessing if you hung out where ever the AMU team is you would see many more of those tabs

"...why there aren't more President's One Hundred tabs around here..."

Shoot at 200, 300, and 600 yards with a service rifle, no sighters. It not like shooting on the internet where every shot is in the X-ring....LOL

I shot it in 1991 but they were not giving awards to the bottom 100 so i was out of luck

I recommend all shooters go to Perry, even if you don't compete. Watch a match or two, spend all your cash and max out your credit card on Vendor's Row.

Good luck

Jerry

Actually, I was really surprised that there wasn't more information out there when I googled "Camp Perry" or "President's One Hundred". I find that all too often, the information revolution hasn't quite made it to the shooting community. All I found was a couple rudimentary sites that told me the what I already knew which admittedly isn't much. I didn't find the site that you linked, 19Scount. Very informative, thanks.

~ZL

I have a few. The President's 100 tab is authorized for wear by those service members having placed in the top 100 of the President's rifle or pistol match. The match is held at Camp Perry, OH during the National Trophy matches each year.
Unlike the Distinguished award, you can earn more than one, but are only authorized one tab. This also means that each year there are people who repeat making the 100. I woould guestimate 70 of the 100 each years have placed in the 100 in prior years. Wear is also governed by branch. Marines are not allowed to wear a President's 100 tab.

194d91.jpg

30 shots, service rifle (M1, M14, M16 or commercial equivalent), first day of the Service Rifle National Trophy Matches.

You're within a week of the Army Rifle and Pistol Championships at Benning, open to all ranks, branches, and MOSs.

Take leave. If you shoot well the Team Sergeants send your chain of command a letter saying the Army will host you over the summer to shoot for the black and gold (all per diem on the USAMU, not your home unit).

Do well over the summer and they ask the Army to PCS you.

It is not just military personnel that participate, it is open to every competitor whom wishes to shoot. It is the top 10% of the shooters that partiipate with a maximum of 100 earning the badge. The coarse of fire is 10 rounds off hand at 200 yards, 10 rounds rapid prone in 70 seconds at 300 yards and 10 rounds slow prone at 600 yards in 10 minutes, all done without any sighters. Camp Peryy is a great time, If you have never been it is a much worth while trip and a good way to meet some very nice people, not to mention great shooters.

Well, that gives me something to think about. I'm heading downrange soon so unfortunately I won't be able to slip out of PMT right now. It does give me a year to practice though.

~ZL

The reason you dont see to many is because its VERY hard to achieve. Their is also a state level award called the Governors Twenty. In Texas, we award these to the top 20 shooters in the state. Each year they award 8 tabs for Rifle, 8 tabs for pistol, two awards for Sniper, and two for Machine gun. You compete against all the other people who already have the award, so their might be only one or two new recipients each year.

3286459554_72c5952c7e.jpg

Sinister:
Nice to see you posting. Hope all is well. Any chance of making Perry this year?

FWIW,
To anyone interested in shooting, military tactics, or Army life in general: When Sinister types, take note. There are few that are in his league as a rifleman, and even fewer as a military leader.

99.99 % of the personell in the US Army never even heard of the National Matches, much less a "Presidents 100" match. I never saw the tab or heard of it until I started shooting HP in 94.

The one and only time I've fired the match I was using my DCM Garand that had NOT yet been re-barreled. My score was nowhere near close.

Plus I still sorta sucked at 300 RF. Short arms, long gun, position recoiling closer to the ground after every shot.

Ironically, a year or two later I fired my highest-score string ever in HP, at 300 prone (same rifle, new barrel, more experience). It was only a 99-3x. Half click down and I woulda cleaned it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their is also a state level award called the Governors Twenty. </div></div>

I have a couple of those tabs. I won three with pistol, one with rifle and another with a sniper rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">99.99 % of the personell in the US Army never even heard of the National Matches, much less a "Presidents 100" match. </div></div>

That is SO true.

As for the Presidents Hundred, it is HARD to get.

In the President's Hundred match after the 30 shots are fired as has already been described then the shooters with the top 20 scores have a shoot off. They shoot 10 more shots at 600 yards, so for the top 20 shooters final score will be out of a possible 400 points and everyone else in the match will have a score that is out of a possible 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know the specifics of earning this tab?

~ZL </div></div>

Not a clue.

Do you think they have it so they have records of who are their greatest threats are for a long way away. Your name is on <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">THE LIST</span></span></span>. Uh OH

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the shoot off that i just described just got added to the President's Hundred match in 2007. </div></div>

Do you know why they added the 10 shot shoot off?

First post I earned the tab in 96 when I was with the 35th Infantry. And I just need 6 more leg points to finish the EIC. I will be trying for them this year. I had a several year break in the action due to a broken back while at Ft. Lewis. But the Doc's have me ready for some shooting.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I've recently heard about the President's Hundred tab and I'm interested in pursuing it. I have a personally owned AR-15 that I've had around just for plinking, and wondering if anybody here could verify that it satisfies the national match service rifle standards.

RRA Varmint A4, with an A4 upper and A2 lower. The upper has flip-up iron sights. That's my main concern, is that the A4 upper really isn't a service rifle component. Do I need to get another AR for competition?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=228

Thanks,
Andrew

Go to www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.PDF
It sounds like your rifle does not qualify as service rifle as you do not have the correct sights and my guess is you do not have the right hand guards.
Your best bet is to find a local club that shoots NRA High power rifle matches and ask one of the folks shooting a service rifle. Most HP shooters will get you on the right path pretty quick. Hell, I loaned a guy a jacket, stool, mat & M79 spotting scope about 10 years ago. LOL. As far as I know he still has the stuff and as long as it sees use, I am happy.

Last edited:
I have personally seen military units using M-16A4s so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it. I have read the rulebook before and was thinking of using an A4 setup and the rules didn't seem to forbid it. IIRC it specifically states you can use rails, I just don't know if you can get away with free floating.

I have been interested in doing the President's Hundred but want to see a match first to get a better understanding of what equipment can be used. Also want to wait until it is a different president that would be signing my certificate if I made it...

Last edited:
McCrazy - You can use an M16 with a flattop, but you have to put the handle/sights on it and use the standard front sight. You can free-float the A2 handguards, but it has to be done so it isn't externally visible. IIRC, the RRA Varmint A4 has the tubular handguard and a low-profile gas block. I would love to use my MK12 Mod1 clone, which SOCCOM and USMC has many of, but it doesn't qualify. Basically the required rifle is an M16A2, and should look like it externally. There are diopter lenses that go into hooded rear sight apertures, floated handguards where the sling swivel is on the front handguard ring, not the front sight base, 2-stage match triggers, match barrels (20", of course) but heavy as crap under the handguards & free-float tube and on and on. They will even let you use the triangular handguards, A1 buttstock and A1 pistol grip, but no ergo-grips or KAC rails ... issued or not. Check out White Oak Armament/Precision or Compass Lake Engineering for about the best CMP-legal Service Rifle uppers you can buy.

I have been interested in doing the President's Hundred but want to see a match first to get a better understanding of what equipment can be used. Also want to wait until it is a different president that would be signing my certificate if I made it...

You don't have to worry about this Prez signing anything marksmanship related, he isn't, neither did Clinton. Besides only the match Winner gets a signed letter. It's still worth the effort.

Nuke- thanks for the info, that is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to find out at a match before building something of my own. Excellent.

Xcount- Also good info to know. Looks like I wont have to delay another 4 years.

DFOOSKING- as far as I know you are correct.

That's correct, whether you earn the award sponsored by the military (i.e. Army marksmanship unit) or you take leave to do it (or who knows, maybe you earned the award prior to serving), you can wear it on your ACUs and ASUs.

Lots of good info, thanks guys. So it looks like if I want to start competing, I'll have to buy a new hand-guard, a standard front site post, and a detachable carry-handle. Better than buying a new rifle for the task!

Was going to compete in this back in '04 but two weeks before I was scheduled to fly out for it I was drunk fell off a bar stool and broke my hand... Never had the chance to do it again as my eye sight sucks now! Maybe someday after I get some better glasses!