• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Press and dies for 416 B

Alaskashooter

Lead Slinger
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Alaska
Guy at my shop wants to build a 416 Barrett. What press and dies should we be looking at? He wants it for Precision ELR

Hi,

For dies I would suggest any of the Tier 1 custom manufacturers such as Warner, Jones, etc. Just make sure the dies match his chamber specifications.

For reloading press..that depends on your clients budget. Top line budget would have to be the ATRS Accu-Maxx. The "Works and pretty cheap" budget would have to be the AmmoMaster 2 with 1.5" conversion kit.

https://www.albertatacticalrifle.co...accu-maxx-reloading-press/category_pathway-17
http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Single-Stage/Ammomaster-2-Single-Stage-Press.aspx
https://warner-tool.com/collections/reloading-dies
http://www.neiljones.com/

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Thanks! For the dies the first name that came to mind was Warner. I’ll check out the other ones and those presses.

Hi,

For precision ELR I am going to say the previous mentioned presses and this one (I forgot in original reply) would be better than the Dillon.
At the 2010 Shot Show when Dillons R&D showcased that 50 press they advertised that presses market was for the M2HB shooters, not necessarily the most accurate reloading needed for those.

http://www.corbins.com/pr-csp2.htm

Sincerely,
Theis

Buy the Alberta tactical press. A friend bought on this spring, very nice unit.

Thoughts on the ch4d rock crusher? I'm currently deciding between it and the Alberta tactical... And maybe the Corbin. I will be reloadind 375 CT on it, 50bmg, and in the future I hope 20mm. The Corbin won't do 20. The rock crusher handles it no problem and the Alberta will with an adapter plate.

Last edited:
This one is also an option. I have owned it and used it for swaging and found it to to be accurate and reliable. Richard Corbin of RCE, is brother I believe to David Corbin of Corbin presses. The Walnut Hill is the RCE equivalent to the Mega-Mite I believe.

https://www.rceco.com/catalog/

On the page you liked it says the following
Code:
The Walnut Hill™ press cannot be used to reload the 50 BMG cartridge.

You sure that press would also work?
I never noticed that. The one I had several years ago was convertible from a 2" stroke to a 4" stroke. Maybe that is no longer an option?

Hi,

@FingerBlaster
If 20mm, 14.5mm or any of their wildcat dereratives are in your future then my suggestion would be the Rock Crusher. I wouldn't want to deal with adapter plate for the Alberta press and that is really the only reason I say Rock Crusher.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

I think it is a great press and that supersized issue is going to be a plus when you get into the monster cases you see yourself getting into :)
Do I think it is too oversized??? If majority of your reloading is going to be for CT sized cartridges then yes but if majority is going to be for BMG+ then no.

Sincerely,
Theis

Warner made my custom 375/.416 dies. Sizing and seating. My press is an older RCBS (bought it used, but looking new off of Ebay). Beast of a press, but its designed for a .50.

Jeffvn

http://www.turban-cnc.de/index.php?article_id=72&clang=1 - I have one and it is superior to any other press I have seen. [They ship (from Germany) to the US but have limited English capability. Send them e-mail.] It will not do 20mm sizing, and I know of no other press than the CH4D Rock Crusher that will (mine was "aligned" by Warner Tool). Looking at the ATRS, compared to the Rock Crusher...I'll stay with the Rock Crusher. The only thing I use the Rock Crusher for is sizing 20 mm. Actually , that is incorrect. That is what I bought it for - and had Warner form my 50/20 brass (very expensive).

I purchased an M2 primer seater die (http://www.m2precision.com/products/primer_seater.html ) and had a local machine shop open it up for 20 mm cases - works beautifully - I use it in the Turban. Totally top drawer.

Comparing the Lenzi to the Turban - NO contest, Turban every time.

I have the AMMO Master 2 large press can use on 50 cal. on down. They can be found for good price. Midway has the on sale for $ 240.45 right now.

I searched for "Turban 140" and all I get is advertisements for Veer's headgear! (Turns out I've looked these up before, they're nice but I've never seen 'em sold here. It looks a lot like the AmmoMaster FWIW.)

I load for .50BMG. I load for an M2 so I do it in bulk. I use a Dillon BFR and I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. It's SOLID and well made. Even if you don't have 10,000 cases to load like me, you can still take advantage of the press. It'll crank out prepped brass 10x faster (due to the auto trimmer) and crank out loaded ammo 4x faster at least (simply because it'll do four operations at once). Given the difference in price, I'd get the BFR. But if you're only gonna be loading ten, twenty rounds at a time, you may as well just go with the Ammomaster and save the money I guess, and it can be used for smaller cartridges too. But you'll likely have to reinforce your bench or buy their stand because it's about 100lbs. and generates a shit ton of force. Even with that press, sizing large brass still takes work. Make sure you have Imperial wax or lanolin/alcohol (I sell an 8:1 mixture that's a bit stronger than the norm and I sell 16oz. same price as Dillon sells 8oz., just PM me).

Be sure to call Dillon and tell them what you plan on loading on it. I think .416 uses all the same shit as .50 except dies but it's worth a call. They said they're gonna make it adaptable to .375, .408, etc., but I don't know how far along they are on that. Or if it's a custom request.

If you plan on swaging any BMG brass and cutting it to .416, I imagine doing that on the BFR with the auto trimmer would be the quickest way. That auto trimmer is just the shit. I use one on the 650 for smaller cases. Trims and chamfers inside and out and leaves no burr. With .416, if Dillon doesn't make a trim die, you may have to call around to other tool and die shops to see if someone else can. CH4D is one that can do it, but I highly recommend you steer clear of them. It's a pretty simple part though, so shouldn't be hard to get.

With the BFR, you can do four operations at once. If you buy a second toolhead, you can keep the dies in there and only have to set 'em up once. I use a separate decapper prior to wet tumbling, then use a sizing die and the auto-trimmer (BIG time saver!) and it's done. I swage the pockets on another tool I have on a rock chucker (those little presses are invaluable for stuff like that or pulling bullets, what have you). For loading, the toolhead will have a priming die, powder dispenser, seating die and finally the Lee crimp die. The Lee crimp die works great. The powder dispenser is pretty accurate with fine powder as usual, but Dillon doesn't make one for it, it has an adapter that'll fit an oversize RCBS, or better IMO/E, the Hornady large volume dispenser. You can also mount the dispenser on the bench and use a digital scale and trickler if wanna go that route. For the rifle I do this, for the M2 I don't.

For dies, DO NOT GO TO CH4D!!! They have zero CS and do not honor their warranty. Very shady and if anything fucks up, it'll be your fault, and they'll go to the mat over $78. I don't think they expect repeat business. Currently having CC company investigate them for stealing $78 from CC without permission. I have a thread on it in the pit with the whole story. It's a shame, because they were willing to make damn near anything and had good prices.

For dies, I wish I'd just bought the Dillon carbide for $1k. It's expensive as hell but at least it would last and I trust Dillon's CS and warranty dept. They're on top of it. If M2 dies is still making dies, search for them. That guy makes custom dies for .50 and I'm sure he can do it for that caliber too. He'll need a fired case to cut your dies. They're costly too, not as much as the Dillon sizing die is but still. This is who I'd recommend if they can do it. I imagine he can do .416 as easily as .50.

Bottom line is get your dies from someone who is known in the business and has good CS and warranties. Like Forster, Redding, etc. M2 if they make 'em and you can afford 'em (DEFINITELY worth your trouble to look up and call).

http://www.turban-cnc.de/index.php?article_id=72&clang=1 - I have one and it is superior to any other press I have seen. [They ship (from Germany) to the US but have limited English capability. Send them e-mail.] It will not do 20mm sizing, and I know of no other press than the CH4D Rock Crusher that will (mine was "aligned" by Warner Tool). Looking at the ATRS, compared to the Rock Crusher...I'll stay with the Rock Crusher. The only thing I use the Rock Crusher for is sizing 20 mm. Actually , that is incorrect. That is what I bought it for - and had Warner form my 50/20 brass (very expensive).

I purchased an M2 primer seater die (http://www.m2precision.com/products/primer_seater.html ) and had a local machine shop open it up for 20 mm cases - works beautifully - I use it in the Turban. Totally top drawer.

Comparing the Lenzi to the Turban - NO contest, Turban every time.

ELR,Does Turban have a US distributor?

Wow STRYKERVET sorry to hear of your issue with CH4D. I have used them for several dies and when i did have an issue they said send the die back and immediately credited my CC back. Its funny how good customer service for me and bad customer service for you can happen with same company. I guess i caught them on a good day.

Wow STRYKERVET sorry to hear of your issue with CH4D. I have used them for several dies and when i did have an issue they said send the die back and immediately credited my CC back. Its funny how good customer service for me and bad customer service for you can happen with same company. I guess i caught them on a good day.

Or STRYKERVET caught them on a bad day. My experience with their CS has been just fine. Easy to work with and they know their product. And their prices are very fair. Not knowing CH4D's side of the conversation, based on my experience with them, I'm willing to give them the courtesy of the doubt.