• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Press location on bench

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I am getting back into reloading after having not reloaded for about 25 years. I have built a bench that is 77 inches wide and in the middle of it it has a cut out for my legs to fit that is 40 inches wide. The bench top is 24 inches deep. I made it to sit at because with my back I cannot stand for a long period of time. On either side of the 40 inch cut out between the bench top and the floor are drawers.

I will be using a single stage press and an auto trickler for Powder.

I am sure that I can figure it out by trial and error, but having been out of the game for so long I really don’t have a good feel for where I am going to want the press mounted.

I am right handed so I am guessing if I sit centered in the 40 inch cut out area that I want the press handle where my right hand naturally will grab it? This would likely be on the far right edge of the cut out I think. Any advice before I start drilling holes in my fancy new bench top?

Reactions: dmuffman80
For me, it would depend on the press.

Forster CoAx - access is very front-and-center, so I'd want the press centered in front of me

RCBS Rockchucker - access is from either side (slightly biased for left-handed access), so I'd want the press mounted with a right offset over my right knee, with the lever mounted on the right side for right handed operation

My RCBS Rock Chucker is located on the far right of my work space. This allows my to have easy access to my table space / powder dispenser.

Mine is a Co-Ax. So are you saying I want it directly centered on the 40" opening for my legs?
IMG_0308.jpeg

I am right handed and prefer and mounted my press and barrel vise on the far right hand side so i dont lose any bench space for other tasks.
My bench is kind of messy and the moment and a shity picture but you get the point.
My bench is also set up so the top is at belly button hieght since i dont like sitting around.

Attachments

• 16801997090301653884054.jpg
    16801997090301653884054.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 54
Mine is a Co-Ax. So are you saying I want it directly centered on the 40" opening for my legs? View attachment 8108557
Roll your stool up there and sit at it. Take one of those clamps and put your press up there. The press will likely be a foot over from center. Youll need to be able to reach up and put force into it, too far over means you lose leverage.

lay out your other parts/ equipment as you would when reloading

depending on what processes you use along with the amount of cases being loaded at one sitting the location will prob change

if you are RH why not use your right hand (which is more "accurate") to place and move components and let the "useless" left hand grab the big handle

think efficiency of movement and staging of components using the bench as a blank slate

I would consider flex in the top as well. I tend to run my press towards the right end, over a leg and with an extra x brace. My top is wood boards so YMMV.

I mounted mine so that I could both utilize the whole table , recline and watch westerns at the same time . still trying to fit a working sink and toilet in the mix lol

I've always had the press on my right side. Tray of cases in front of me. whatever else is off to my left.

I am getting back into reloading after having not reloaded for about 25 years. I have built a bench that is 77 inches wide and in the middle of it it has a cut out for my legs to fit that is 40 inches wide. The bench top is 24 inches deep. I made it to sit at because with my back I cannot stand for a long period of time. On either side of the 40 inch cut out between the bench top and the floor are drawers.

I will be using a single stage press and an auto trickler for Powder.

I am sure that I can figure it out by trial and error, but having been out of the game for so long I really don’t have a good feel for where I am going to want the press mounted.

I am right handed so I am guessing if I sit centered in the 40 inch cut out area that I want the press handle where my right hand naturally will grab it? This would likely be on the far right edge of the cut out I think. Any advice before I start drilling holes in my fancy new bench top?
What is the height of your bench top? How tall are you? This will help others in determining your best seating technique for your press and or presses.