• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pressure on AR???

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
Since there isn't a bolt to open how do you watch for pressure issues on an AR? Is it primer flattening?

Thanks, loaded up first test loads for AR and want to be safe with my testing.

Re: Pressure on AR???

Primer flattening doesn't always mean much, but it is something to get you looking. I find with mine heavy ejector marks and the extractor tweaking the rim are pretty clear indications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Primer flattening doesn't always mean much, but it is something to get you looking. I find with mine heavy ejector marks and the extractor tweaking the rim are pretty clear indications. </div></div>

What he said^^^^

primer flattening is really very deceiving, and some flattening is a good sign.

The ejector marks will show up as brightly shining scrape marks on your brass, this is telling you you are at/near max. Go no further in powder charges.

If you're REALLY into high pressure territory, then you will get the actual IMPRINT of the bolt face engraved into the brass. The brass will flow into the ejector hole on the bolt. The headstamp and primer may even be "smeared." Do not fire any more of this ammo.

I have found that many AR's, even though marked 5.56 on the barrel, are not truly chambered 5.56 and show pressure signs much earlier than the true 5.56 guns. I bought a Christensen reamer and ran it through all my AR's. Only my Colt was a true 5.56--all the elcheapo AR's were not, even though they are marked as such. They are now, thanks to the reamer. More info on this at michiguns.com.

its possible your AR will never show pressure signs , until you start blowing primers. Or worse.

On can also mic the case head. Measure before firing just above the extractor groove where the case head is solid. Measure after firing. Expansion of this part of the case is not a good thing. Recommendations as to the limit vary from .0005" to .001". Just remember that if the solid part is expanding, it's doing so because of lots of pressure.

Thanks guys...that gives me some stuff I will watch for and I can take my mics to the range and will monitor expansion.