• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pressure signs question

Bugzlife19

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
So I'm loading for a .308 20 inch barrel. Using 175g smk with 44.1g of Varget with CCI 200 primers. Loading at magazine length. My question is I'm at 2621 fps and I'm getting some light extractor marks on my brass and the occasional heavy bolt handle. This is not every round but I would say 50% of the time and it's only started since the weather is warming up. Question one should I toss these pieces of brass they are brand new Lapua cases? And second should I kick back this load since the weather is going to just warm up more. I've ran this load for 700 rounds already. Just not sure what to do.

Don't need to toss unless primer pockets are very loose or you have structural failures along the case (split necks, split bodyC cracks, etc).

since its virgin brass pressure is on the low side and if you're already seeing pressures, expect a for sure pressure signs on once fired since its closer to chamber dimensions.

reccomendation: back the load down

Was seeing same thing with lapua cases I had reloaded nine times. No loose primers or any other pressure signs on those either. Should I back all the way to the next accuracy node or just back off a few grains?

If you have velocity recorded for your current load when it shot well, compare to what it is now.

you can try backing down to get the same velocity or go back to lower node.

issue with that is, you're already at your max node and running hot regardless.

if I were you I'd just back down slightly and know that I'm running it really hot for the performance gain.

if you want to play conservatively and give up a little velocity go back to lower accuracy node which shouldn't be more than 1.5-2.5 grains best guess

Thanks for the help. I'm at the top of this accuracy node so I'll kick it back just a little bit and see if that helps. Shouldn't affect my SD. If it's still running to hot then I'll try the next lower node. Just didn't want to loose to much more FPS and all the dope I've worked up to this point.