• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pretty and performant scope

westsidecamper

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2020
Just got my hands on a very nice looking Winchester Model 70. It's a "super grade" .308 so the barrel is really tapered. It's .6xx at the muzzle. As someone who mostly deals with "shooters" and more utilitarian guns, I'm happy to have a pretty and classically styled gun. It might get some hunting use and occasional target shooting use, but I'm looking to keep it nice for future generations as well. Keeping in mind these principles:
  • Looks matter - I want to retain the classic styling with something like a glossy black finish that would match gloss bluing.
  • Performance - it's a nice, light rifle that's easy to get behind. I want to maintain that with clear glass that's easy to get behind. I.e. good clarity and good eyebox.
  • Range - I'm thinking tweener (2-10, 3-12, etc) but 4-16 could be good.
  • Turrets - can't imagine that I'll ever need to dial on this. Capped seems good.
  • Parallax - side focus might be good, but I'd rather not need to use it. I.e., good DOF through mag range
  • Reticle - don't think this matters too much.
  • Focal plane - don't think this matters too much.
What optic would you go with and why?

Reactions: camocorvette
Glossy leupold sounds good, but it doesn't seem like they're making them? Do I need to call the custom shop?

Glossy leupold sounds good, but it doesn't seem like they're making them? Do I need to call the custom shop?
The custom shop may not exist anymore. Last I checked maybe 1.5 yrs ago it was on hiatus for a “reorg.” A real shame.

I’d check ebay / gunbroker. There are also some used euro glossy scopes out there. Gloss just looks right with blued + wood guns. Shame that finish is (almost?) extinct.

yes show us pictures of your pretty gun . Wives , daughters , neighbor's wives it don't matter show us lol sharing is caring :rolleyes::unsure::giggle: ...

Just got my hands on a very nice looking Winchester Model 70. It's a "super grade" .308 so the barrel is really tapered. It's .6xx at the muzzle. As someone who mostly deals with "shooters" and more utilitarian guns, I'm happy to have a pretty and classically styled gun. It might get some hunting use and occasional target shooting use, but I'm looking to keep it nice for future generations as well. Keeping in mind these principles:
  • Looks matter - I want to retain the classic styling with something like a glossy black finish that would match gloss bluing.
  • Performance - it's a nice, light rifle that's easy to get behind. I want to maintain that with clear glass that's easy to get behind. I.e. good clarity and good eyebox.
  • Range - I'm thinking tweener (2-10, 3-12, etc) but 4-16 could be good.
  • Turrets - can't imagine that I'll ever need to dial on this. Capped seems good.
  • Parallax - side focus might be good, but I'd rather not need to use it. I.e., good DOF through mag range
  • Reticle - don't think this matters too much.
  • Focal plane - don't think this matters too much.
What optic would you go with and why?

Ok you bastards, got a couple out for a quick photo. Light isn’t great, can’t even tell the little Belgian Browning SA-22 wears a gloss Leupy. 😢

My Mod70 pre-64 is long gone, but not too far. Sold it to my brother.

The other rifle is a CZ 527 Lux in 22 Hornet.

Three things: the SA-22 has a picatinny rail. Yeah, I know. Spoils the lines but makes my brain (not my heart) happy. The CZ has a big ol’ rubber ball on the bolt handle. It’s great in the winter and turns out, great in the summer too. Plus the CZ is threaded, I had the front site removed…might have it cut down a bit and have a gunsmith reinstall.

I’m uncool, but comfortable. I’m ok with that.

1B583BB7-FA0F-418F-8CFB-9FBFB3CAE72F.jpeg

Last edited:
You'll have to get a Leupold scope, the VX5 and VX6 are excellent scopes but don't come in gloss finishes (I don't think).

Probably come down to what models are actually available in gloss finish.

Leupold custom shop is shut down. Those guys are working production to help out. When it opens back up is anybody’s guess.

You'll have to get a Leupold scope, the VX5 and VX6 are excellent scopes but don't come in gloss finishes (I don't think).

Probably come down to what models are actually available in gloss finish.
Leupold was my first thought, but there are supposedly better scopes out there so I want to be thorough with my search. Seems like a lot of people like the Zeiss V4, for example. I'm cool with Euro scopes if they look good and are easy to get behind.

I don't really get why people want to see pics of a gun with no scope on it, but here's a peek at the stock.
WHOA dude, nice slab o’wood there. You find that new or used? Looks new.

Ye place a matte scope on there and ye rifle gods shall smite ye down!

WHOA dude, nice slab o’wood there. You find that new or used? Looks new.

Ye place a matte scope on there and ye rifle gods shall smite ye down!
I got it "used" but besides having talley style bases on it, I don't see any signs of use. Came with a pristine box as well.

Reactions: camocorvette
I bet this scope has awesome glass. However, it is, to me, ugly. That big hump on the eyepiece ruins it for me. I didn't specify a price range because I am willing to save up a bit for what I want. I can spend around 1200 right now.

Random but anyone know someone who could thread a thin sporter barrel? Would be some kinda cool to have a blended thread protector and use this with a CGS Hyperion.

Reactions: paco ramirez
Leupold was my first thought, but there are supposedly better scopes out there so I want to be thorough with my search. Seems like a lot of people like the Zeiss V4, for example. I'm cool with Euro scopes if they look good and are easy to get behind.
The VX5/6 scopes hold their own against similar priced Euro scopes.

Some of the Euro scopes do look nice but the gold ring on the Leupolds always seem to go so well with wooden/blued rifles that I personally wouldn't buy anything else if looking nice was the main criteria.

Reactions: westsidecamper
i like the swarovski option, if you have the coin. otherwise Leupold 3.5-10. also zeiss, top-end burris would work

Leica Visus 2.5-10x42 looks pretty sweet in gloss. I believe they made a 3-12 as well. You’ll have to find either used.

1632797433885.jpeg

I do agree there is something special about gloss Leupold’s with that gold ring and wood/blued rifles. A 2-7x would be a good fit for a hunting 30-06 in a forest (that’s what mine had on it).

Otherwise, Schmidt & Bender Polar’s have a cool shape. Not glossy. Seems semi-gloss. They have tons of options, totally bewildering, FFP, SFP, parallax knob, no parallax knob, illumination or not, different types of turrets, etc etc etc. Spendy but cool.

E258FD43-12FF-41DF-B7C8-15087DAFD6ED.jpeg

Come to think about it, you might be able to order a custom gloss S&B from Eurooptic. I know you can order non-catalog S&B stuff. You’ll probably wait forever for it, but that would be cool as hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: westsidecamper
Found a minty vx-2 1-4, threw it on with talley gloss fixed rings. Clearly they have a different definition of "gloss" than Leupold does 🤣

Attachments

• 20211007_153812.jpg
    20211007_153812.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Makinchips208