• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Preventing baffle strikes

marksman25

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2010
Ohio
Need a little help. Does anyone have a good method for checking a suppressor for proper alignment before sending rounds through it. Can I do this myself or should I have a gunsmith check it out first? Just ordered my first can and want to get a head start on this issue.

Re: Preventing baffle strikes

I check mine with a high quality cleaning rod the same diameter as my bore, using a bore guide. If it doesn't touch the endcap and doesn't get really close to one side then I consider it good to go.

I do this with the bore oriented vertically so the rod doesn't bow. I also rotate the rod to check to see if it has a kink in the rod.

Not sure about this method, but at least it makes me feel a bit better.

I mounted the can and looked through the bore with the bolt removed. Not entirely sure if it was a foolproof method or not, but it looked concentric to me, and I haven't had any baffle strikes after a thousand or so rounds, so I'm going to assume that my method "worked!"

i load a round and with a flashlight try and look down the barrel and see if the bullet lines up with the hole

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i load a round and with a flashlight try and look down the barrel and see if the bullet lines up with the hole</div></div>

.......popcorn ....make mine with butter please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need a little help. Does anyone have a good method for checking a suppressor for proper alignment before sending rounds through it. Can I do this myself or should I have a gunsmith check it out first? Just ordered my first can and want to get a head start on this issue.</div></div>

most barrel strike come about from non-concentric threading of the host barrel.....some one that threads a barrel on the OD instead of the correct method on bore centers

I thread it on and pull the trigger. No kidding and not a smarta$% answer. No method is going to tell you if it is really on center short of chucking it up on the lathe and checking it with the proper tools......except shooting it. If a good smith threads it and a reputable manufacturer made the can then I wouldnt worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most barrel strike come about from non-concentric threading of the host barrel.....some one that threads a barrel on the OD instead of the correct method on bore centers </div></div>

This is when I see most problems with baffle strikes. Having a qualified smith (unless you have the tools to DIY) check to ensure that your threads are concentric to the bore, and the correct size, is a good idea. It will save you a lot of pain and expense down the road.

Also, depending on the ammo you are using, you should shoot it without the suppressor installed to ensure that the bullets are properly stabilized (no tumbling/yawing/other signs of instability that could lead to a baffle strike). This is more of a concern if you are trying to run subs or ammo that is inappropriate for your particular barrel/twist setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need a little help. Does anyone have a good method for checking a suppressor for proper alignment before sending rounds through it. Can I do this myself or should I have a gunsmith check it out first? Just ordered my first can and want to get a head start on this issue.</div></div>

most barrel strike come about from non-concentric threading of the host barrel.....some one that threads a barrel on the OD instead of the correct method on bore centers </div></div>

Besides the threads being concentric, I think it's even more important that the shoulder of the barrel which the suppressor indexes off needs to be cut square to the bore.

Loosen up any thread on muzzle device and wiggle it. Unless the threads are cut really high, it will wiggle. I've noted wiggle of about 1-2 degrees even on match AR barrels. Anyway, so if the shoulder is cut 1-2 degrees off, even with barely any wiggle, I bet it will compress the threads enough so that the shoulder of the barrel meets the shoulder of the suppressor, and then you suppressor would be 1-2 degrees off. Probably would also shoot like shit with any other muzzle device due to uneven compression distorting the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i load a round and with a flashlight try and look down the barrel and see if the bullet lines up with the hole </div></div>

LOL - It's like you hate people with less than 100 posts....

Good luck

gemtec says "if we do the threading....we guarantee the can if you get a strike. Otherwise, you are on your own."

It is a Savage.

Not sure what kind of trouble VAjayjay is trying to get me into LOL.

Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is a Savage.

Not sure what kind of trouble VAjayjay is trying to get me into LOL.

Thanks for the input.</div></div>

ha ha just bustin yer balls, I really have no clue how to do this except whats been said already

After I thread a barrel, off the bore of course, I attach the can, pull the bolt and look down the barrel towards a light source. The eye is exceptionally good at centering things naturally, if the suppressor is "crooked" you can often see it.

Take your rifle, hang it vertical with the muzzle pointed at the ground. I usually use a stout coat hanger with the nice plastic coating, don't need any scratches, then I will hang the rifle with the coat hanger through the trigger guard. Also, make sure you have about 2 or 3 feet between the muzzle and the ground. I generally will do this in the shower, as the shower rod is a good supprt to hang it from.

Once you have it situated and hanging straight, take a piece of 1/25" surgical tubing and run it into the breach. Make sure you get a good seal, this is very important. Now take the the other end of the tubing and run it to the faucet. Now turn on the water and watch the pretty waterfall you just created.
blush.gif

Had problems with my 308 and 30 .cal can, my muzzle brake didn't have enough internal threads to come close to shouldering up on my barrel. Cut more threads, and brake and can trued right up, would agree with pulling bolt and looking down barrel as a baffle will show up pretty quickly if not trued.