• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Price check on a Remington 700 please

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I was down at the pawn shop (girlfriend's uncle owns it) helping a friend order a ring and I saw a Remington 700 in 30.06 that looked like it was in decent shape. It had iron sights (blah) and a black plastic stock but the price was $325 IIRC. Is this worth picking up at that price for a project?

Thanks,

-X

Re: Price check on a Remington 700 please

you will have a relatively hard time finding an action alone for that kind of money. I think it is all about your location, sometimes people know what a Remington 700 is worth, and other times they don't LOL... BTW if it is a Pawn Shop, they likely see a lot of .30-06s and plenty of 700s, so you might offer $275-300 and get a nice surprise.. If I was looking for a project action I would pay that for one.. seems like they sell for around $300-350 and sometimes more for a bare action. Are you planning a long action build on a standard bolt face? if so, good deal, if you are wanting to do a short action caliber or a magnum, maybe not the best deal...

Just my $.02...

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you will have a relatively hard time finding an action alone for that kind of money. I think it is all about your location, sometimes people know what a Remington 700 is worth, and other times they don't LOL... BTW if it is a Pawn Shop, they likely see a lot of .30-06s and plenty of 700s, so you might offer $275-300 and get a nice surprise.. If I was looking for a project action I would pay that for one.. seems like they sell for around $300-350 and sometimes more for a bare action. Are you planning a long action build on a standard bolt face? if so, good deal, if you are wanting to do a short action caliber or a magnum, maybe not the best deal...

Just my $.02...

DD </div></div>

What he said...

To add, Iron sights could come in handy in brontosaurus country!
grin.gif

I'm not totally against the idea of leaving it a 30.06 and rebarreling it.

I don't see a lot of 30.06 customs.. Is there a reason for this? Or does it fall between .308 and .300WM and people prefer to just go one or the other?

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't see a lot of 30.06 customs.. Is there a reason for this? Or does it fall between .308 and .300WM and people prefer to just go one or the other?

-X </div></div>

IMO you hit it, most people would go either .308 or .300wm. .30-06 is like the .40s&w of the 3. Nothing wrong with the 06 though, a capable caliber for sure-

if you don't want a long action rip it apart sell all the pieces separate and make some money off the thing. you could easily sell just the action for 350.