• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Price Check question GAP

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
I have a neighbor who wants to sell a couple of rifles, I bought an AR from him already but told him I want to think on two of the bolt guns.

1) GAP Hospitaller in .308. To me, it looks like the rifle actually is actually using some kind of trued Remington action. The seller thinks the rifle was purchased 10 years ago. In addition to the rifle itself, it comes with a S&B PM2 5-25 with some kind of very basic MilRad markings. The scope is a Sphur mount and it has an atlas bipod. The stock has a custom grey/black/white multi cam pattern. The seller told me he has something like 140 rounds downrange on the gun. There is not a single mark on the cerakote.

2) AI AX in factory 243. Only rifle and was told never fired.

He wants 6k for the GAP and 4k for the AI.

I'm far from an expert in used gun prices, but with your description those sound fair. If those are guns you're looking for perhaps schedule a range day to insure accuracy meets your expectations.

Reactions: Secant
I have a neighbor who wants to sell a couple of rifles, I bought an AR from him already but told him I want to think on two of the bolt guns.

1) GAP Hospitaller in .308. To me, it looks like the rifle actually is actually using some kind of trued Remington action. The seller thinks the rifle was purchased 10 years ago. In addition to the rifle itself, it comes with a S&B PM2 5-25 with some kind of very basic MilRad markings. The scope is a Sphur mount and it has an atlas bipod. The stock has a custom grey/black/white multi cam pattern. The seller told me he has something like 140 rounds downrange on the gun. There is not a single mark on the cerakote.

2) AI AX in factory 243. Only rifle and was told never fired.

He wants 6k for the GAP and 4k for the AI.
a brand new GAP is 5k

unless you really want that particular rifle, your getting rifle with a lot of unknowns

Reactions: diverdon
Post close-up pics and more details. Did he buy both rifles brand new? Did he buy the S&B scope brand new?

I'd definitely offer him less money if he made/makes his living directly from a "tax payers funded" public job- think of it as a refund on all those extorted and wasted tax dollars.

Reactions: diverdon
S&B is 2400-2500

no way id sell my GAP hospitaller for 2k... unless it was beat to hell and back. I bet it has a defiance or surgeon action and manners T4A with mini chassis or bedded by them . Could part it out for more than 2k.

Rings are not cheap either depending on whats on there. I bet hes wanting 2500 out of the scope and rings and 3500 out of the rifle which isnt bad consider what they cost now and the time involved.. If he parts them out I bet he gets close to his 6k depending on condition.

Of course this is my option... some guys want stuff from 2000 pricing.

If the AX is a quick change barrel model then its a good deal also. I wonder if he means the .243 barrel is unfired...... I doubt the whole system is unfired.

Last edited:
Find out for sure what exact reticle is in that S&B scope as that will make a big difference in the price.
If you are unsure, post some pictures of it at minimum and maximum magnification, looking at a blank wall & we can tell you.
The value can easily swing $600 or more depending on the reticles and any other turrent features.

Any gun's true value is the intersection of two things:

1) How bad the seller needs the money
2) How much a buyer is offering

Depending on the age of the rifle it could have very well been made on a trued 700. There was a time when that is all GAP used to build their rifles.
I am 95% sure it is a 700 action, my .260 Rem GAP is a 700 action.

I am 95% sure it is a 700 action, my .260 Rem GAP is a 700 action.

I don't believe GAP ever ground off the Remington rollmarks. It should be dead easy to tell looking at the left side of the receiver.

You just sold a gap with a S&B for 4200?!
Hospitaller at that?
Depending on the age of the rifle it could have very well been made on a trued 700. There was a time when that is all GAP used to build their rifles.
Right. but what about the Hopsitaller? I remember the GAP Rock being on a remington, but once the Hosptialler became an actual model, i dont remember those on a remington, I could certainly be wrong of course.

Right. but what about the Hopsitaller? I remember the GAP Rock being on a remington, but once the Hosptialler became an actual model, i dont remember those on a remington, I could certainly be wrong of course.

I can't be sure. Just think that there is a possibility.

I'd definitely offer him less money if he made/makes his living directly from a "tax payers funded" public job- think of it as a refund on all those extorted and wasted tax dollars.
I’d probably go ahead and check if he has any friends or relatives that category as well. Can’t be too careful

No way I'd buy a used S&B 5x25 PM II for 2400/2500. Last ones I purchased from EuroOptic New were 2500, 2 years ago not from the early 2000s. It's likely a P4 reticle with MT turrets, from his description and 10 year old comment. I do love my S&B's but I'm not paying retail for used.

Besides, it's nearly a 20 year old design and S&B this year pumped up their prices 30% which is absolutely insane. They have priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerned, I'll take a Tangent over these new prices.

Reworked 700 and old S&B, $4500 is reasonable :)