• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Price for a M1 Garand Scope

chama

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2005
Kansa
Would anybody know what an authentic M1 Garand Sniper Scope are going for these days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Which model, what condition, etc., etc.??? Pics would be helpful as well.

There were several "issued" scopes with the M1C and M1D so knowing that vital piece of info will go a long way.

The M81/82 scopes were used until 1945 when the M84 was adopted. They were the only "issued" scopes for the M1C/D's however non-issue scopes were used, that being the Stith-Kollmorgan 4X or the Lyman Alaskan.

Anything else would be just a scope attached to a M1, which is fine, just not authentic if authentic is what you're looking for.

There are a lot of re-productions out there, some good, some not so good. Prices will vary depending on the quality. There are original scopes out there, but as mentioned they can be pricy depending on the condition.

The only one I used was the M84, I ran sniper schools for the Guard using M1C/Ds with the M84. They are 2.2 X but worked great to 900 yards.

To get an ideal of the best after market scopes check with the guys on the CMP forums. They have gotten quite popular in the last few years do to the CMP GSM Vintage Sniper Matches.

Because of the (lack of) quality of the after market M1 scopes, and the high prices of the originals, M1C/Ds don't fair well in these matches compared to the M1903a4's and the M1941s. There are a lot more "original" scopes available for those rifles.

But if you're willing to pay the price for a good original M84, and learn to shoot the M1C/D they will be competitive.

You only shoot the Vintage Sniper Matches at 300 & 600 yards. One of the best M1D shooters I've seen put a cheap after market M84 and never got it sighted in. He just hung the scope on the rifle and used the iron sights for shooting. You wont find better irons on a military rifle they you'll find on a M1.

For an original issue scope in serviceable or better condition with a mount plan on spending anywhere from about $1300. to $4000. and up. It will depend on the model of the rifle and scope as well as condition.

The most common and least expensive would be an M1D with M84 scope. Note: the M1D comes with a special barrel with an integral scope mounting block.
The M81 and M82 (militarized versions of the Lyman Alaskan) were also used to some degree on the M1D.
During the 60's some 1" versions of the M1D scope mount were manufactured so the rifles could be used for counter riot duty with Weaver K4 scopes. The Lyman Alaskan variants and M84 all had 7/8" tubes.

The next most common variant is the M1C.
The M1C was used with the M73 (Basically a commercial Lyman Alaskan with military nomenclaure - Only a few M73's entered service. Most of those were modified to and remarked to M81's)
The M1C was also used with the M81, M82 and M84 scope.
The Griffin and Howe double lever side mount was used on the M1C. Its is an excellent quick detachable mount but relatively expnsive and complicated to install.

The rarest M1 sniper is the USMC's MC M1952 with MC-1 Scope and mount.
The M1952 is basically an M1C however the USMC wanted a better scope so they chose the Stith Kollmorgen 4XD which required a special longer version of the Griffin and Howe upper portion of the scope mount. They in turn designated the scope and mount MC-1.

Hope this helps.

The cheapest I have seen an M84 scope go for in the last couple of years was $800 without the mount. They are getting very difficult to find and getting very expensive. I would not waste my time or money on the repro's as I have heard many bad reports on repro scopes.

The cheapest I have seen an M84 scope go for in the last couple of years was $800 without the mount. They are getting very difficult to find and getting very expensive. I would not waste my time or money on the repro's as I have heard many bad reports on repro scopes.

Right on the money for M84 scope price.
THEN, you have to find the correct mount. Lots and lots of reproductions of those also. Count on another $400 for an original mount, in good condition.

For an original issue scope in serviceable or better condition with a mount plan on spending anywhere from about $1300. to $4000. and up. It will depend on the model of the rifle and scope as well as condition.

The most common and least expensive would be an M1D with M84 scope. Note: the M1D comes with a special barrel with an integral scope mounting block.
The M81 and M82 (militarized versions of the Lyman Alaskan) were also used to some degree on the M1D.
During the 60's some 1" versions of the M1D scope mount were manufactured so the rifles could be used for counter riot duty with Weaver K4 scopes. The Lyman Alaskan variants and M84 all had 7/8" tubes.

The next most common variant is the M1C.
The M1C was used with the M73 (Basically a commercial Lyman Alaskan with military nomenclaure - Only a few M73's entered service. Most of those were modified to and remarked to M81's)
The M1C was also used with the M81, M82 and M84 scope.
The Griffin and Howe double lever side mount was used on the M1C. Its is an excellent quick detachable mount but relatively expnsive and complicated to install.

The rarest M1 sniper is the USMC's MC M1952 with MC-1 Scope and mount.
The M1952 is basically an M1C however the USMC wanted a better scope so they chose the Stith Kollmorgen 4XD which required a special longer version of the Griffin and Howe upper portion of the scope mount. They in turn designated the scope and mount MC-1.

Hope this helps.

Very nice and concise summation Jim.

The Lyman Alaskan "B" series is technically correct for the M1C. You will pay $$ for these too, as these have become more desirable and collectable.

Mike

I got 2 from CMP for 150.00 each...still have 1 on my M1D...wish I would have kept the other I had it on my 03A4 but I wanted a M73b1....those are crazy $ for what they are

Check the gunshows, I managed to find a good Lyman Alaskan for my C for 175.00. They're out there still, just have to look and be in the right place at the right time sometimes.