• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Price of gas!!!

SIGTWO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Raleigh nc
The Price of a gallon unlead 87 here in Raleigh NC is about $2.97 and premium 93 going for about $3.39. Was thinking about taking a road trip West to Idaho. Just want see what i have to pay for the liqiud gold as i travel across our great country.Thanks...

Re: Price of gas!!!

It's $2.85 in McKinney, TX. However, I go to Krogers and get $.10 off a gallon. Where I used to live, San Pedro, CA, it's $3.44.

Jamie

The prices are only that high because each barrel is traded at least 26 times or more before it gets refined. Thank the asshole Commodities Traders for the fact we no longer have 100 Octane @ $.99 a gallon, not the 'cost of doing business' or 'what the market will bare'.

Switch, unless you drive a 60's car or a long stroked V8 the high octane won't do squat for your vehicle.

I used to run super unleadead until I got laid off.

After about 2 tanks of regular unleaded I headed up that huge mountain road to go get my daughter and found I wasdoing 60 in 5th gear.

With High Octane I used to do 50 in 4th gear.

Lower Octane, faster explosion, gimme fast with my low stroked engine..

I think our regular unleaded is up to about 3.29 a gal with super at 3.47 a gal.

shell has 87 for 3.39 here in southern california!

arco is 3.15 for 87.

but arco is crap and i dont get anywhere near the milage with it as i do shell. plus i have to use 91 anyways.

just incase you wanted to come out to southern california and spend time in all the traffic. haha.

It used to be that they would put the same gas in all their tanks. Most of their help couldn't keep the tanks straight. The sticker always says minimum rating.
Rthur

Scott,
ANy motor that has over 10:1 compression will need a minimum of street octane of 93. 11:1 if it's a fuellie. If compression is above 11:1, then high octane is required to prevent detonation and spark knock.
I run a mix of Shell 93, and VP MS103 to get a motor octane of 94(Street octane of 98) for my Harley. There are still some of us who drive high performance on a daily basis. If they solf the old 99 - 100 octane, I could run 'pump gas' and not be mixing my own

Static compression is not the best indicator of octane needed (though it's a piece of the equation).

For those that don't know, octane rating is just the fuel's ability to resist detonating before your spark plug goes off. Fuel will ignite itself when under enough heat and pressure, and 87 octane will ignite under less pressure/heat than 93, etc.

Burn rate is different than octane ratings, and is what is responsible for increased or decreased power. The fuel mixture used to "make" the gas you buy is what determines the burn rate, which affects power. Most real world tests show what you found, arctic, that the lower octane mixes have a higher burn rate.

Switchblade is right, a good rule of thumb is 10:1 and up needs 93 for iron heads, and 11:1 with aluminum. This is assuming the correct cam is chosen for that compression, adequate quench is achieved, and tuning is spot on.

Dynamic compression is the most important number for what ictane fuel you need. It's also the number I wish I knew about before I built my engine. It takes into account the bore, stroke, and when the intake valve closes after bottom dead center. Here's an article about it:
http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
and a calculator:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uhcoog1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Static compression is not the best indicator of octane needed (though it's a piece of the equation).

For those that don't know, octane rating is just the fuel's ability to resist detonating before your spark plug goes off. Fuel will ignite itself when under enough heat and pressure, and 87 octane will ignite under less pressure/heat than 93, etc.

Burn rate is different than octane ratings, and is what is responsible for increased or decreased power. The fuel mixture used to "make" the gas you buy is what determines the burn rate, which affects power. Most real world tests show what you found, arctic, that the lower octane mixes have a higher burn rate.

Switchblade is right, a good rule of thumb is 10:1 and up needs 93 for iron heads, and 11:1 with aluminum. This is assuming the correct cam is chosen for that compression, adequate quench is achieved, and tuning is spot on.

Dynamic compression is the most important number for what ictane fuel you need. It's also the number I wish I knew about before I built my engine. It takes into account the bore, stroke, and when the intake valve closes after bottom dead center. Here's an article about it:
http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
and a calculator:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

</div></div>

Check out the big brain on Brad! You're a smart motherfu**er, that's right!

Still well under $3.00 a gallon here in Utah. Some places are about $2.70 depends on what station you stop at. Diesel is around $3.25 a gallon.
Chris

People thought I was dumb when I bought my civic......

Now I just need a lift kit 4 it so I don't get stuck anymore.

Quit yer whining, $4.00 a gallon on the nuts here. Has been $3.95 since spring. $4.32 for deisel.

Everyone in the US should be glad we aren't paying European prices, and apparently New Zealand as well.

if your going to do any long drives do them now... they say easily in the 5 dollar range soon.

The fact is noone likes hearing that gas is going up. But the fact is our gas prices are some of the lowest in the developed world, and as much as it will hurt the average american in the beginning higher guess prices have the potential to really help. Tired of seeing jobs leaving your state or our country, if tarrifs aren't going to be put in place then higher shipping costs will make it no longer cost effective to have our goods includign food shipped around the world to save on labor and healthcare. Certainly stands to reason that a gallon of milk produced here in michiigan should be cheaper for me to get vs a gallon transported from california, and a cotton tshirt with cotton from georgia should be cheaper than getting it made in china and shipped around the world.

Diesel in NY 3.55 GAL, I think Premium is even more. It's all Bush's fault...how come Dem's don't get blamed for high fuel costs? Home heating oil is up to 3.50 a gal here as well.

I can't even recall the last time I saw diesel cheaper than gasoline. Paid $3.27 for diesel in the Nashville area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't even recall the last time I saw diesel cheaper than gasoline. Paid $3.27 for diesel in the Nashville area. </div></div>

A friend, who is an Engineer with Shell Oil, said that the Government mandated Ultra Low Sulfur Standard added 40 cents a gallon to the cost of fuel. That was the last diesel truck I bought. Lucky us.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't even recall the last time I saw diesel cheaper than gasoline. Paid $3.27 for diesel in the Nashville area. </div></div>

Just when you buy the red stuff

Somebody comes up with an economical way to power an engine, and somebody else is going to come up with a way to make it more expensive. Funny how it's our government who seems to be the one who insists this happens. Blaming one party or the other rather misses the point.

Time are tough alright, and our friends who control the oil taps don't seem to think that's any problem of theirs; they're busy building architectural curiosities, artificial islands, and indoor ski slopes in the deserts on our dimes.

Folks point to finance as the origin of our problems, but as a debtor nation, did you ever wonder who drives those corporate financial policies?

If I was friendly to paranoid conspiracy theories, I'd be really confused right about now. Come to think of it, I <span style="font-style: italic">am</span> really confused right about now...

Point being, if you give folks a lever, they will swing it. I think we are way too free with the way we give <span style="font-style: italic">other</span> folks our levers. Used to be, when folks swung our levers, we swung back; but that's not how our world has become lately. Me, I think that's a mistake; and we're the ones making it.

The Japanese have long understood that as <span style="font-style: italic">Bushido</span> goes, war is not simply a military subject.

Greg

$90.00 to fill my rig out here in SD, 10% ethanol was @ $3.20, that'll last me about 3 days, it adds up fast, and its about to get worse, as i said befor, its gonna be a rough ride boys, so get ready.

Pymouth Meeting Pa-
unleaded runs 3.11 to 3.15

Blaming the Arab for the high cost of gas is like blaming a farmer for the high cost of food. But I guess foriegners make a more comfortable target.

When Ultra low sulfur diesel came out the price of off the road diesel went up a nickel so I guess Chevron gets koodoos for absorbing the other 30 cents per gallon that 'expert' claims was the cost of removing harmful sulfur from the diesel we burn.

There is a disconnect between what we proclaim is as American as apple pie, individualism, and the price sensible people would think would have to be paid. We revel in 300HP vehicles, cast a scornful eye on any sort of public transportation system as Big Govt subsidizing poor people conveyance. We coined a new word for the havens flight some ethnic groups engage in from the Big Cities have done- exurbia. Daily single occupant vehicles spend an hour or two commuting to and from energy guzzling homes to their job.

Reminds me of the old saying, dont bitch with a full belly.

Thinking the Dems arent as hooked up with big oil like Former oilmen Bush and Cheney were. One of Bush's campaign points was as a former oilman he knows the big oil guys and can talk frankly with them. For all the hubbub over the secret energy meetings Cheney had having former oilmen in the White House didnt seem to get us a coordinated energy policy anymore than all Presidents proclaimed they would deliver for as long as I can rememeber.

Well I guess we rather blame everyone but the guy in the mirror. Well I have to go gas up the 12mpg 450hp tank I own and run a series of circular errands all day.

GO EAGLES !!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$90.00 to fill my rig out here in SD, 10% ethanol was @ $3.20, that'll last me about 3 days, it adds up fast, and its about to get worse, as i said befor, its gonna be a rough ride boys, so get ready. </div></div>

Not looking forward to the price hike. I go though about 30 gal / week, and my take gets 22 mpg. That is just getting back and forth to the grind.

whats the law on transporting a rifle on your bicycle to and from the shooting range?... that would be a sight. have it slung over my back.