• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Price shock.

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
I am loading up some 30-40 Krag, what it is going to be fed to is in the vintage thread around here somewhere. And I had a case of reverse sticker shock.

1689873324334.png

I didn't lay it in that deep but definitely $1k+ and at mostly ~2010-12 prices. Definitely worth alot more in today's money which also is a kick in the nuts when your using it as I like to keep my numbers up lol. So it's like am I using a 2 cent primer or am I really just buying an 9 cent primer to replace it :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: FWoo45
Yeah I'm getting ready to load some 300BO I thought I remembered having an unopened H110 from back in the day (41 mag).

Sure enough, found it in the basement tonight. The place I bought it from had a rep for high prices LOL.

IMG_7788.jpg
IMG_7789.jpg

Recently used up the last of my $28/lb H4350 that I bought in 2007. It still produced single digit SDs and 3/8 MOA in my 6.5x47 (primers were that old too).

After stuff started to come back post Sandyhook (2012), I allotted $250/month to reloading supplies and ammo. I kept that up for about 5 years.

I'm not saying anything further. 😄

Recently used up the last of my $28/lb H4350 that I bought in 2007. It still produced single digit SDs and 3/8 MOA in my 6.5x47 (primers were that old too).

After stuff started to come back post Sandyhook (2012), I allotted $250/month to reloading supplies and ammo. I kept that up for about 5 years.

I'm not saying anything further. 😄

Back when the great rim fire shortage happened, it really pushed me to get a 38/357 lever rifle. I figured I could always reload for it, you can always get components.....little did I know.

Huge fun little rifle, I ended up with an 80's version marlin. You can load it from mild to wild and it is just a hoot. Strongly suggested.

Reactions: diggler1833
Powder Valley had the following Reloder powder on stock at fucking ridiculous prices
R-16 59.99 1lb / 442.99 8lb
R-19 57.99 1lb 274.99 5lb
R-26 59.99 1lb 421.99 8lb
R-50 57.99 1lb 419.99 8lb
So basically any precision rifle powder you would want the Alliant Powder Company raised the the prices about $160 per 8 pound jug over what the were selling for 6 to 8 months ago. I would like to try some of the Alliant podwer but at those prices those money gauging pieces of shit can fuck off!!!

I'm pretty sure that the component companies are retailers are just making up whatever price they want to nowadays and blaming "inflation" I have stopped buying Hodgdon and moved over to VV powders.

60 bucks for a lb of RL16? PV must be smoking that Midway USA crack. Plus you got shipping, handling and hazmat fees on top of that. Hazmat is basically whatever they want to charge now too.

Now I'm thinking it's Alliant smoking Crack. Natchez has RL-16 ON sale :rolleyes: for $459.99 & the 2000MR I was looking for $415 WTF!

I'm pretty sure that the component companies are retailers are just making up whatever price they want to nowadays and blaming "inflation" I have stopped buying Hodgdon and moved over to VV powders.

60 bucks for a lb of RL16? PV must be smoking that Midway USA crack. Plus you got shipping, handling and hazmat fees on top of that. Hazmat is basically whatever they want to charge now too.
I had never used VV powders, generally an IMR guy. During the shortages I gave a couple a try and I do like them. I still tend to go with Varget and 4895 and such for the old rifles I enjoy.

I have seen through my travels online it seems that specific areas drift to specific powders.

I had never used VV powders, generally an IMR guy. During the shortages I gave a couple a try and I do like them. I still tend to go with Varget and 4895 and such for the old rifles I enjoy.

I have seen through my travels online it seems that specific areas drift to specific powders.
I haven't either, always thought they were on the high end of prices for powder. Not now Hodgdon has basically surpassed VV in terms of pricing. I have always heard VV makes great powders. Seems they more cater to the precision rifle cartridges. So far have used N540 and N565 for various loads and they both have produced excellent SD/ES and exceptional accuracy.

Reactions: squirrel_slayer
I haven't either, always thought they were on the high end of prices for powder. Not now Hodgdon has basically surpassed VV in terms of pricing. I have always heard VV makes great powders. Seems they more cater to the precision rifle cartridges. So far have used N540 and N565 for various loads and they both have produced excellent SD/ES and exceptional accuracy.
I first used it in a very low pressure 45-70 load, using magnum pistol primers, I was way off in the weeds. Remember NOTHING was available, I figured these primers are real close, magnum CUP #'s are far below what the CUP pressures are on this load, so lets give it a shot. Worked perfect and gave me the best groups that old girl has ever given me. I am sold, and with their prices now really sold.

The thing that worries me however is where they come from, I can see that source going away. I don't know if they have a factory in the US or not.

Well, given the fact that Hodgdon doesn't make any of their powders, mostly relabled General Dynamics powder and most of the powder is made in Australia or Europe anyways. VV has been around for years and now they are owned by Capstone. So I would feel ok with VV availability in the US since we are their biggest market by far.

Back when the great rim fire shortage happened, it really pushed me to get a 38/357 lever rifle. I figured I could always reload for it, you can always get components.....little did I know.

Huge fun little rifle, I ended up with an 80's version marlin. You can load it from mild to wild and it is just a hoot. Strongly suggested.

in 2016 when the rimfire stuff came back down (finally) I may or may not have purchased 5 cases of Federal Bulk pack when I was able to get them for $216 shipped. I went over my limit that month (allegedly)

Should have bought 25 cases. Fortunately I already had (again...allegedly) several cases.

I don't own a 38/357 rifle, but I probably should at some point.

I'm with you, they can pound sand @ $60/lb I remember when VV powders were the premium priced option. now it's about the most affordable. I'm slowly transitioning to VV powders as well!

During the great rimfire famine I got into casting as I had a steady supply of wheel weights. I was shooting 45 colt, 357, 9mm ect for less than a nickel a round! Even when rimfire did come back I kept shooting "real guns" as everything was 10 cents a round.....now primers are full retard and I'm shooting 22lr again.....go figure!

I'm with you, they can pound sand @ $60/lb I remember when VV powders were the premium priced option. now it's about the most affordable. I'm slowly transitioning to VV powders as well!
which is why I just bought 2 jugs of VVN555 for considerably less than H4350.