• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pricing of handguns vs ARs vs bolts

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Why is it good 1911s seem to cost more or the same as high end ARs and good bolt actions cost more than both those. The ARs have so many more moving parts. Is it a supply and demand thing? Am I wrong?Just curios, not a discussion about what's better or worse.

Re: Pricing of handguns vs ARs vs bolts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it good 1911s seem to cost more or the same as high end ARs and good bolt actions cost more than both those. The ARs have so many more moving parts. Is it a supply and demand thing? Am I wrong?Just curios, not a discussion about what's better or worse. </div></div>

1911's and bolt guns require a lot of hand fitting, wayyy more labor intensive to make. I put together my first AR when I was 15 years old, no fitting required at all. That being said, I do think high end 1911 prices are pretty overinflated at the moment.

yea, its pretty rediculous.

Hand fitting and machining. There are lots of steps to making a handgun. Not near as many in a AR. Now bolt rifles we pay it. The accuracy of the machining is a lot better than 10 years ago but how much better do you need in like a AIAW? Consistency also costs.

The 1911 is a classic, plus the fabrication, making it safe and legal...

And supply and demand...

The Ar platform is so simple a 6 year old can do it, not so with a 1911...

And yes I had my daughter tear one down at age 6 for fun, and put it back together..

all the high end crap ends up running around the $3-4k breaking point for most people.if its good precision stuff they're gonna push it as far as they can on price pt. as long as people pay for the precision they will charge. "guilty"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1911 is a classic, plus the fabrication, making it safe and legal...

And supply and demand...

The Ar platform is so simple a 6 year old can do it, not so with a 1911...

And yes I had my daughter tear one down at age 6 for fun, and put it back together.. </div></div>

Surely not from scratch? There is like 3 or 4 more times metal and fabrication in an AR than a 1911.

OK You got me...supply and demand...lets go back to that hand worked theory - sounds good to me...especially after watching American Guns!
smile.gif
;0

She must be 18 by now surely?( the hottie in American Guns)

The US has a protected market, to be sure. Small arms around the world cost a fraction of what they do here, AKs for example (as well as military cased ammo). Think about a new frig in the kitchen, ice maker, super compressor etc., cost less than a "good" not "great" AR. Norinco makes a lot of weapons, including ARs, 1911s, sig copies, M14s the list goes on and on. Are these weapons "as good as", hell yes, in many cases they are. Should you compare a $300 1911 to a $2000 1911, no. The new crop of 1911's made overseas, those made in the Philippines for example, are pretty good, and are great for the dollar spent.
I would have thought (years ago) that the advent of the CNC mfg techniques, would have raised quality, while lowering costs (less hand work-easier to hold tolerance etc.). Costs may have been lowered, but consumer pricing has not really dropped. About the only time you see a big drop in price, is if a foreign mfg starts to sell similar-as good or better- products for much less. Then as if a bolt of lightening hit, the MFGs suddenly have a sale! I don't blame anyone for making a profit, nor for making as large a profit as they can, but in a protected (no chinese made guns for sale, for example)market, we the consumers are the ones being hurt. Another example of the govt. picking winners and not allowing the FREE market to work.