• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pricing on L Vickers 1911? Any Info?

jrhtx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
Anyone have any pricing info on what Larry Vickers charged for one of his custom 1911's? Not the Night Hawk pistol, one he worked over.
Thanks
J

Re: Pricing on L Vickers 1911? Any Info?

This is not current information, but I am looking at a July/August 2001 American Handgunner that has a very detailed article on Vickers and his 1911 builds.

At that time, they listed the cost as $3,800-$4,000. I'm sure they cost more now. He only produces about 20 guns per year.

This is definitely not your brother-in-law's Kimber!!

CW

Any chance of a scaned copy of that article?
Thanks for the information.

4-5K for a full custom job.

Good luck getting on the wait list though.

The info I've seen is that he isn't taking any work now. Could be wrong, who knows.

He posts occasionally on m4carbine.net if you want to try and get an answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Stolen from a thread on M4...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted by BT2012
There's probably slim to no chance of him returning to building custom 1911s. He is busy with consulting, training and filming T.I. The work he does on a 1911 to make it a serious combat gun is considered very labor intensive. You can take his pistolsmith course that he does and you will learn what it takes to build one. </div></div>

Originally Posted by SHIVAN
I asked him point blank, what amount of money would it take for him to build up a 1911 these days...

His reply was not vague, nor did it entertain doing it again. I suppose there is always a possibility, but I'd count nuclear war as a higher probability. </div></div>

the last on I saw for sale was a 1911 built on a high capacity frame and it went for over 3500 used. It was kind of a one of, but the guy had the build sheet and it was legit.

In 07 at his class here he pretty much said his gunsmith days were over . If he has a preferred customer list he's still doing work for it wasn't mentioned .
His view on the 1911 was interesting to say the least .
At that time he was a big fan of the M&P and was shooting a M9 himself .
If your looking for one of his 1911's it's gonna be used and cost what the market will bare .

I have one of the Vickers/Nighthawk pistols and its in the 4G mark. Well worth the money and I'm quite pleased with it.

I am sorry but there is no way that any 1911 is worth that much. I have owned numerous custom built STI/SVi hicap 1911/2011 pistols and not one of those came close to the $3500-$4000 mark. Does he give free instruction with the purchase of the pistol, that would be about the only justification for the price.

The NightHawk guns were built under license to use his name , the ones I've handled were nice pistols . He pulled the plug on them when the price crept up from 2800 to 3300 .

The price for custom firearms has always been what the market will bare .
This is the same sort of deal with rifles they are all pretty much put together the same way by the big smiths but some guy's get more money for them than others .
Its all the same with anything its only worth what someone will pay for it .
Supply and demand capitalism at its finest .

I know of two of Larry's pistols that went for, I believe, $10K and $11K respectively. Like someone else said, it's all about what the market will bear just like rare cars and art.

Larry's not taking any pistolsmithing work currently.

"I am sorry but there is no way that any 1911 is worth that much"

Adam, I respectfully disagree. I think you overlook how many man hours can be poured into a custom build. Comparing the STI's to a custom is a bit like saying an FN SPR and a GA Precision are the same. No disrespect to Mr. Vickers but his pistols do not make my top 5 list(mainly because what I am after in a custom is a bit different than his products). For my own builds I spend around 1200 to 1400 in parts alone. Now if I were to pay myself for the 100 to 150 hours I put into it...well lets make it equal to entry level anyjobaroundhere at 12 bucks an hour. Well, we are at 2600. Now lets add in some Hard chrome/DL Coating/Birdsong whatever you like so that adds roughly another 300. We are at 2900. I think a top shelf smith wants to make more than the night supervisor at McDonalds per hour
smile.gif

One of my fav's is Ned Christiansen. He is probably my top pic followed very closely by Scott Mulkeren. How many hours do you think he has into this custom with many parts built from scratch???

adg.jpg

I know Ned and have shot some of his guns, he doesnt live to far from where I grew up. His guns are top notch, he always does unique guns that are always different. Whatever he charges is well worth it. BTW-My STI's are not by any mean even close to being factory built. They are all hand built from the frame up using good aftermaket parts, I have $1600 into parts before I get the smith bill.

There are numerous 1911 smiths that produce or did produce a quality piece. Many have retired or no longer build guns like Larry.

I have one of Ned's guns, not a race gun, a plain high quality shooter. I also have 1911’s from the 70's a retired Air Force pistol team armor built. They are different, high quality, but do they shoot. I wish I had been smart enough at the time to spend every spare minute with him learning the 1911.

I got a wild hair and think I want a Vickers gun. If I had the time, I would like to take his 1911 gunsmith class.
J

C Ward was mostly correct. He had/has discontinued his building - and prior to that they were 4k and above easily with him only doing a few per year. The kind of prices Heirloom Precision is asking for.

I would assume you'd have to be the Pope or someone who he truly respects to get him to work over one for you anytime in next decade(s). Respectfully, due to his 'retirement' from GS.

Hell, a blind squirrel find a nut once in a while...............

If interested - Chuck Rogers, Ned C., Paul Liebenberg (+1), Steve Morrison, Dave Lauck will build a 1911 to amazing detail. Check out the Pistol Dynamics Combat Special(s) -

Another one that has ridiculously shot up in value, Valtro 1911s. Good luck finding one and good luck paying for one. They used to go for like 1800 for a package back in the day, average asking price if they come up is 5500