• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pricing Reloading??

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
A friend of mine told me his buddy was reloading his 40, 357 and 45 for him for .06-.08 a round all he had to do was get him his brass. So i called him on it and told him i had 3,000 rounds of 9mm casings i wanted reloaded they where processed and cleaned already and he told me .22-.26 per round. So here is my question since i am not set up or have the desire to start reloading at this time, so what is a fare price if someone is reloading for you pay per round price. Or better yet what would you charge to do it for someone on a short term basis. Just trying to figure out if its worth the price he is charging or if he is just taking advantage of the situation with having lots of brass to deal with at once, but in my line of work i normally charge a little less for bulk work loads not just piece mill work.

Most places give you scrap prices for your brass as credit towards your purchase of new ammo.

Need to know what bullet he is using. That determines a lot of the cost.
If its lead then he's making good money off you.
If its 124gr speer gold dot then its a different story.

Bullet used makes a big difference in cost. Equipment used to load is going to make a difference also. Fully automated where you dump in brass, bullets, primers, powder and flip switch then larger volume of one specific load would have an impact on price. Loading on a Dillion 550, 650 or even 1050 then labor is going to be fair portion of price and limit how low price will go.

Is said person an 06 FFL? Loading for payment w/o having FFL, product liability insurance, etc is asking for issues.

Precision Delta 124 FMJ bullets - $97 per 1k
Winchester 231 or Alliant Unique around $18 per 1lb. (You should get around 1500 rounds per lb for 9mm - 7000gr per lb 4.5 grains) Let's figure $12 per 1k.
Winchester primers $28 per 1K.

With that plus $27.50 for Haz shipping (that doesn't include normal shipping) comes out to $164.50 per 1K. Then include some labor. If he makes $100 per 1000, that's too much for a buddy hook-up. But with the limited availability of powder, primers and bullets; he may be figuring that in to the cost.

Is said person an 06 FFL? Loading for payment w/o having FFL, product liability insurance, etc is asking for issues.

And I would suspect, against the law. Gubermint wants their fees and taxes.
6¢-8¢ per round, given that primers are 2¢-3¢ per round, that thar's some sh1t projectiles going into the bullets. Cheapest bullets I have are Rainier 147gr FMJRN @ 9.5¢ / round.

Precision Delta 124 FMJ bullets - $97 per 1k
Winchester 231 or Alliant Unique around $18 per 1lb. (You should get around 1500 rounds per lb for 9mm - 7000gr per lb 4.5 grains) Let's figure $12 per 1k.
Winchester primers $28 per 1K.

With that plus $27.50 for Haz shipping (that doesn't include normal shipping) comes out to $164.50 per 1K. Then include some labor. If he makes $100 per 1000, that's too much for a buddy hook-up. But with the limited availability of powder, primers and bullets; he may be figuring that in to the cost.

It is also a hassle to acquire aforementioned materials. Its going to be pretty hard to accumulate even half of the things on that list without paying through the nose or waiting a looong time.

Price range quoted the OP works out to between $11 and $13 per box of 50 (if I did the math correctly).
As stated above, the value depends on materials used...cast lead, FMJ, Speer Gold Dot...ect.
More info is needed.

I would venture a guess that he has between $4 and $8 per box of 50 in just cost of primers, powder and lead.
This could be higher depending on availability in today's market of scarce supplies and price gouging.
Then add on something for his labor.
I would value my labor at close to what I could make per hour if I worked one of the OT shifts I get offered every other week.

When it is all said and done, a "fair price" is whatever you are willing to pay in today's evolving market :)
A "fair price" today might be considered too high or too low a few months from now.
Figure out what you will have to pay to buy factory ammo in your area, then decide if the reloads save you any money and are worth it.

Well i got to the bottom of the deal last night about 12, and i told him no thanks. He is loading them with Lead bullets he cast. So first thing came to mind was that is way to much money for lead, second thing was i don't want lead rounds LOL!! I didn't think of the FFL side of things but now that I am not getting them i think all is well in the hood! He is a nice guy but didn't like the idea of lead pullets for that kind of price and the idea that i have a good stash right now was another thing that i wasn't in a "need" basis for ammo at this time. Thanks for all the input and also all the info much appreciated!