• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Primary Arms 1-6x Gen III: distortion?

jabbrwoke

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2021
Cincinnati, OH
My thinking is that a 1-6x scope with illuminated reticle is as good as a red dot, and both eyes open at 1x ... the Primary Arms seems to get great reviews online so I got one but the 1x seems badly distorted. I know its not an expensive scope but is distortion at 1x expected or did I get a bad one? intended use is 0-200 yards.

First it is critical that you get the rear diopter set up for you eye. Next is proper eye relief. You have to get that setup first. A picture mounted never hurts. ALso tell me what you mean when you say distorted? Reticle now clear? Target not in focus? Setup properly you absolutely can shoot both eyes open. We QC every optic so I doubt you have a bad one but it is always a possibility. We will get it sorted out.

Reactions: r.tenorio671
First it is critical that you get the rear diopter set up for you eye. Next is proper eye relief. You have to get that setup first. A picture mounted never hurts. ALso tell me what you mean when you say distorted? Reticle now clear? Target not in focus? Setup properly you absolutely can shoot both eyes open. We QC every optic so I doubt you have a bad one but it is always a possibility. We will get it sorted out.
Thanks for replying ... it has barrel distortion at 1x. When I look at something like a door or window frame, the center is right on but the mag is slightly more than 1x because there is a double image (both eyes open) toward the periphery of the field. At the extreme periphery I can see the image bowed outward slightly.

Can you post a quick picture of it mounted? It needs to be pretty far forward for proper eye relief. That is the #1 reason for not getting best 1X view. Let's get it as good as we can and if it still does not work for you glad to refund or go with a different optic. Only out to 200 yards there are other options. Glad to hop on a call and walk through the setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Primary Arms
image0.jpeg

That's my 300 blk 10.5 inch pistol.

I must say that I was hitting targets at 200+ yards today at 6x. The reticle is nice. At the range and at 1x the barrel distortion isn't so noticeable and my eyes can merge even though the mag is probably 1.2x not exactly 1x.

Push the scope out away from your eye and you will see the view through the optic open up. It still will not be exactly like a red dot up close but you should see a clear difference

I have a great FOV and I can use it with both eyes open. My question really is if it’s supposed to be exactly 1x at lowest setting or for example is it really 1.2x, and also is the barrel distortion expected? From a functionality point of view it works great. Really just want to know if these optical limitations are expected?

Yes price point makes a difference. Our higher end PLx 1-8 is true 1X. That said it is not FOV that I am talking about. Play with distance from the eye. I really think it will make a difference in what you are seeing and in the distortion you are describing. Based on how you have it mounted ,especially with a pistol brace, you are IMHO too close.

Well I’ll tell you this, the 6x power is really terrific and my little AR pistol is hitting steel at 200(+) yards with both 300 blackout and 7.62x39mm 10.5 inch barrels … this is much much better than my EOTech red dot. The illumination gets washed out in the day but the reticle is great for target acquisition.