• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primary Arms Optic not working with 20 MOA base

TheFighter88

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Needing some help here to be sure I'm not missing something.

Put together a rifle for my wife - it's a Howa 1500 bull barrelled-action in 6.5 Creedmoor, bedded in a Boyd's At-One walnut stock.

Got a Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50FFP scope with the ACSS-Apollo 6.5CR reticle and mounted it on an EGW 20 MOA one-piece heavy duty aluminum Picatinny-style base with Vortex Pro Picatinny-style low aluminum rings.

When I went to zero it this past weekend, my impact was high by 10" or 12", and I couldn't adjust the reticle any more for negative elevation (e.g. to lower the bullet impact relative to the reticle). Has anyone else ran into this problem, pairing a 20 MOA base with a Primary Arms optic? I just assumed they'd have enough elevation adjustment to allow for use of a 20 MOA base, but I'm thinking I may just have to use a regular base.

To clarify too, I did make sure to press the zero stop button, but that only gave me five clicks below the factory zero. I called Primary Arms as well and was told that just over one full rotation is the extent of elevation adjustment on the optic.

Any help is appreciated - thanks in advance!

You have more than one rotation. You need to disengage the stop at zero internally while you zero not just press the button. Do that with the cap off. I will make sure to get a training on this for the people answering the phones. Sorry you did not get the help you deserve.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, it's probably more me than the help I received, if I'm honest.

The person on the phone mentioned something about needing to remove the cap and adjust the zero stop internally, but it didn't make sense in my head - I thought he just wasn't understanding the problem, especially when he confirmed what I was thinking regarding the one full rotation of elevation.

So, I apologize. This one's on me, not you guys in the slightest. Thank you for your help, sir. Much appreciated.

Next time it might be easier to buy Burris Signature XTR rings with any base whether it's a plain 0 or 20moa base. This way you can get it to work for whatever scope you choose no matter what. Even zero it comfortably within the sweet spot.