• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Primary Arms Platinum 6-30FFP Athena BPR

Tunnuh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
Texas
This scope looks really interesting to me at its price point (1500 msrp). A 6-30×56 Japanese made, with a reticle that I really like. Did anyone at shot check it out? Seems like it could be a good value that I might buy this year.
20180211_105617.png
20180211_105652.png

I understand it's not for everyone, and I like a Christmas tree. The H59 is what i was looking at before this for what it's worth.

if you like the reticle, I honestly think the Platinum series scopes are outstanding value for what they offer. I can only speak to the 1-8x that I have but believe this to be a solid scope as well.

Reactions: Tunnuh
if you like the reticle, I honestly think the Platinum series scopes are outstanding value for what they offer. I can only speak to the 1-8x that I have but believe this to be a solid scope as well.

Thanks for your input on the platinum scope you have. I agree the value seems really good if the tracking is good. If no one has a 6-30 I might do a short review when I get one.

No box test yet. Clarity is very good and subtensions are very usable and accurate. I've MILed doors and windows of known sizes vs. distance using Google and it's accurate. I generally shoot between 16x-20x. Everything is still very bright and clear at 30x too.

It's the same scope as one of Weaver's first foray into high end scopes right before Bushnell or Burris, can't recall, bought them out and they apparently moved Weaver back into budget only. There's a thread here somewhere about the Weavers and they talk very highly of it except for its reticle. Which PA has addressed and improved. With the addition of this new reticle it makes it difficult not to consider. A few have put in 2.5-3x it's price competition with NF being mentioned in the same sentence. It's not sexy but it's solid. I'm far from a scope expert though.

No box test yet. Clarity is very good and subtensions are very usable and accurate. I've MILed doors and windows of known sizes vs. distance using Google and it's accurate. I generally shoot between 16x-20x. Everything is still very bright and clear at 30x too.

It's the same scope as one of Weaver's first foray into high end scopes right before Bushnell or Burris, can't recall, bought them out and they apparently moved Weaver back into budget only. There's a thread here somewhere about the Weavers and they talk very highly of it except for its reticle. Which PA has addressed and improved. With the addition of this new reticle it makes it difficult not to consider. A few have put in 2.5-3x it's price competition with NF being mentioned in the same sentence. It's not sexy but it's solid. I'm far from a scope expert though.

Good feedback, I appreciate it!

I have the much cheaper 4x14x44 R grid reticle. Awesome scope for the money looking at possibly adding a platinum to the collection. I really like that Athena reticle but word is there is an R grid2b coming out soon, gonna be keeping an eye out for that. Also 1-8x platinum with the griffin mil reticle looks really cool. Not really into their BDC reticle but they have some really good stuff for the money. Not really designed for dialing with the lower end stuff though.

I had the Bushnell 1-8 SMRS scope for a while and was able to compare side by side with the PA Platinum 1-8. Except for some different knurling here and there and a different reticle, it was almost identical to the Bushnell even down to the stickers inside the caps, but about $1000 cheaper. Just an FYI. It seemed like a really well made scope.

I think the 6-30 would be nice, but the reticle has kept me from trying one, and this new reticle is no different. The tree is nice, but I NEED a "2" on the windage line so I don't get lost on movers. That's a deal breaker for me.

For me the solid line transitioning from dots let's me know its 2 mils, but I learn a scope once and don't change for a while because I'm a cheapskate.

I just purchased the Weaver version of this scope. I don’t do comps and prefer to dial so the basic modified Mil dot works for me. I know it won’t pick up girls with the WEAVER name on it, but I don’t care....

So is it true though, that these are a LOW made scope?

I just purchased the Weaver version of this scope. I don’t do comps and prefer to dial so the basic modified Mil dot works for me. I know it won’t pick up girls with the WEAVER name on it, but I don’t care....

I believe so but I'll see if Dimitri might verify that if I remember to email him after work. I've only heard good of the weaver, you like yours?

Reactions: Bender
Just not into the chevron aiming point. It is VERY snipery, ala the PSO though. maybe we can put one on a ROMAK

Just not into the chevron aiming point. It is VERY snipery, ala the PSO though. maybe we can put one on a ROMAK

I'd prefer a dot, but I like it better than a cross hair or a floating cross hair. I wish I still had my saiga...

I got am email back it is fully illuminated, should drop in a month, no confirmation of which factory in Japan. Although, I'm not surprised as that's probably manufacturing information they want to keep to themselves. I know we keep that kind of info private at our facility

I got am email back it is fully illuminated, should drop in a month, no confirmation of which factory in Japan. Although, I'm not surprised as that's probably manufacturing information they want to keep to themselves. I know we keep that kind of info private at our facility

Am I reading this right? So they are going to improve on this model? Weaver?

It looks like the weaver, but other than that I have received no info other than what is stated. I dont want to say something on assumption. Hers what I do know: It is a primary arms branded scope, it is Japanese, it looks like a good reticle and great value. I'm ready for it to drop so I can buy one.

Reactions: Bender
I'm waiting on the 6-30 with Athena BPR Mil reticle given I've been so happy with the Platinum 1-8. I think their MAP for this series is a few hundred too high, but then I don't have to make their payroll every week or two! I waited for a blem sale for the 1-8 and got a smokin deal; otherwise I was not willing to take the chance. Glad i did!

Primary Arms has some interesting reticles and I can appreciate them doing things little different than others. For something like occaisional PRS match and general steel ringing, would you guys take the Athena or Deka? I know I could look at other scopes, but for the purpose of conversation what do you think?

Primary Arms has some interesting reticles and I can appreciate them doing things little different than others. For something like occaisional PRS match and general steel ringing, would you guys take the Athena or Deka? I know I could look at other scopes, but for the purpose of conversation what do you think?
I'd go Athena 100% it's an improvement over there Deka and has a more desirable design.

I'm waiting on the 6-30 with Athena BPR Mil reticle given I've been so happy with the Platinum 1-8. I think their MAP for this series is a few hundred too high, but then I don't have to make their payroll every week or two! I waited for a blem sale for the 1-8 and got a smokin deal; otherwise I was not willing to take the chance. Glad i did!
I also have the 1-8 platinum glass is very good in both that and the 6-30. There is one difference the turrents dont pull up and lock when down though the elevation has a zero stop

I’ve got it in the Deka Mil. I had it on my 308 at franks last Colorado class. At 1475yds it definitely wasn’t as clear as the Khales and Nightforces, but I could still make hits! Tracked perfectly even when I was having to come up 20mils. Pretty awesome.

The reticle is really busy and the chevron gets huge at high magnification. I have a higher end primary arms scope and the turrets are really mushy. Save your money and get something proven.

Yeah, the turrets are not as crispy as something that’s $3500, but the chevron is a proven aiming point and works great at least for me! If you’re unable to afford a top end scope and want something decent that tracks, gets you out past 1000, AND is illuminated, you really can’t beat it!

Reactions: Blackfoot 7