• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Primary Arms SLx 3-18 Appolo or Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25

iLiveToFish

🤙🏼🤙🏼
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2020
Good afternoon.
I’m anewbie here but have been stalking the forum for info for awhile. I am building an AR-308 chambered in 6.5 CreedmoorThe only thing left that I need to complete it is an optic. I originally ordered a PA SLx 3-18 apollo, but it is backordered until sometime this month. I recently (yesterday lol) discovered the Strike Eagle 5-25 FFP.

I noticed the PA turrets do not have a return to zero option, but the Vortex does. The PA reticle is built for elevation holds and windage holds for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I know the Vortex is a bit more expensive, but through the information from this forum recently signed up for Vortex’s military discount. We will see what the final difference in price will actually be.

A little history about me— I am a USMC Veteran, and learned all of my rifle knowledge from my training with the Marine Corps. Furthest I have ever shot out to is 500 yards, and when we used iron sights we made windage and elevation adjustments. When we switched to the ACOG, we used holdovers/ kentucky windage. I am currently living in the Bay Area of California, and within a 2 hour drive we have the ability to shoot out past 1000 yards. 1000 yards is my goal for now, and possibly further. I will primarily use this rifle for target shooting, but as I don’t have a bolt action it will also double as the occasional hunting rifle.

I am looking forward to all of the great information the members this forum has to offer.

-Travis

Reactions: Bender
Sooo, I did the exact same thing. I got the PA scope and put it on top my PSA 6.5 ar-10. The ultimate budget build, haha. Ive gotten to 1000 no problem, it tracks well. While I like the horus style reticle, I dont like the chevron aiming point, Id' rather just have a dot.

The glass aint bad, and I'm still doing some testing on it, the price is not bad either. But the expert voice on the vortex will make it similar.

Sooo What I don't like,

The turrets just dont give me 100% confidence, It almost seems to feel like its slipping a few clicks as you move up sometimes. Its odd, but it still tracks on point.

Also, theres no zero stop. Its kinda annoying, yeah I know I'm supposed to dial back to zero after each shot, I get it, buuuut it'd be nice to return to zero if i forget. On my SWFA while I dial up, you can actually see where you are on the turret. Yeah theres no zero stop but the turret actually moves upward and you can tell youre not at zero. The PA just stays in place, turning in place as you move upwards or downwards elevation wise.

Also, even with a 20MOA warne mount I have it in, I still only get 14 mils of elevation on the turret, and I'm holding on the reticle afterwards, I thought I'd get a little more elevation to work with. (I was shooting at 1300-1700 yards)

So yeah, I'm thinking of sellilng the PA and checking out the Vortex, I've seen some real good stuff on them.

Thats my .02

Sooo, I did the exact same thing. I got the PA scope and put it on top my PSA 6.5 ar-10. The ultimate budget build, haha. Ive gotten to 1000 no problem, it tracks well. While I like the horus style reticle, I dont like the chevron aiming point, Id' rather just have a dot.

The glass aint bad, and I'm still doing some testing on it, the price is not bad either. But the expert voice on the vortex will make it similar.

Sooo What I don't like,

The turrets just dont give me 100% confidence, It almost seems to feel like its slipping a few clicks as you move up sometimes. Its odd, but it still tracks on point.

Also, theres no zero stop. Its kinda annoying, yeah I know I'm supposed to dial back to zero after each shot, I get it, buuuut it'd be nice to return to zero if i forget. On my SWFA while I dial up, you can actually see where you are on the turret. Yeah theres no zero stop but the turret actually moves upward and you can tell youre not at zero. The PA just stays in place, turning in place as you move upwards or downwards elevation wise.

Also, even with a 20MOA warne mount I have it in, I still only get 14 mils of elevation on the turret, and I'm holding on the reticle afterwards, I thought I'd get a little more elevation to work with. (I was shooting at 1300-1700 yards)

So yeah, I'm thinking of sellilng the PA and checking out the Vortex, I've seen some real good stuff on them.

Thats my .02

I actually opted for the Vortex. The PA wouldn’t have made it in time to shoot with my family over the 4th of July weekend. I really like the Strike Eagle thus far. You lose some elevation by installing the zero stop but you still have 18mil of adjustment. For me thats more than enough. I enjoy the simple reticle with a dot in the center. I’ve only shot it at 100yds and 200yds thus far, but the glass looks good so far. The turrets are locking, so I do like that also.
Possibly on my next longish range rifle I’ll go back to the PA, but with the veteran discount with Vortex, it’s hard to look another way.

I think you made the right choice man. I just checked and still only have 12.2 miles of elevation on the PA. That’s with a 20 moa mount.
With my 16.5” 6.5 I run out of elevation going past 1100 and go to the reticle for additional holdovers.

Good stuff on the vortex though. That’s cool

Good afternoon.
I’m anewbie here but have been stalking the forum for info for awhile. I am building an AR-308 chambered in 6.5 CreedmoorThe only thing left that I need to complete it is an optic. I originally ordered a PA SLx 3-18 apollo, but it is backordered until sometime this month. I recently (yesterday lol) discovered the Strike Eagle 5-25 FFP.

I noticed the PA turrets do not have a return to zero option, but the Vortex does. The PA reticle is built for elevation holds and windage holds for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I know the Vortex is a bit more expensive, but through the information from this forum recently signed up for Vortex’s military discount. We will see what the final difference in price will actually be.

A little history about me— I am a USMC Veteran, and learned all of my rifle knowledge from my training with the Marine Corps. Furthest I have ever shot out to is 500 yards, and when we used iron sights we made windage and elevation adjustments. When we switched to the ACOG, we used holdovers/ kentucky windage. I am currently living in the Bay Area of California, and within a 2 hour drive we have the ability to shoot out past 1000 yards. 1000 yards is my goal for now, and possibly further. I will primarily use this rifle for target shooting, but as I don’t have a bolt action it will also double as the occasional hunting rifle.

I am looking forward to all of the great information the members this forum has to offer.

-Travis
Even though I already have the

Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50mm FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS-Apollo-6.5CR/.224V.. I bought this before the GL came out..there was a PL but I didn't want't to spring for that it was over a grand. I do have a GL 2.5-10x44 FFP Griffin mounted on a S&W M&P 10 6.5 So I sprung for a an Arken EP5 5-25x56 FFP MIL VPR 34mm tube yesterday. It will jump from rifle to rifle for now. Everybody seems to love it. I'll let you know.​

EP5 5-25X56 FFP MIL VPR Reticle with Zero Stop - 34mm Tube I may remove my Athlon or just PA back in the box & wait for a new rifle to mount my surplus to.