• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prime 6cm question

BLKWLFK9

Just F'n Send It Podcast
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Has anyone shot both the 107 and 115 loaded ammo and had one shoot better than the other? The 107 shot like ass in my AI but am curious if the 115 would potentially shoot much better? Just wish the 6cm was a little cheaper than $37 a box.

The last two weeks I shot over 200 rounds of prime 6.5 cm 130 And they were the worst thing I ever shot out of my AI, very disappointing Trying to figure out if others are having problems with the new prime ammo

The last two weeks I shot over 200 rounds of prime 6.5 cm 130 And they were the worst thing I ever shot out of my AI, very disappointing Trying to figure out if others are having problems with the new prime ammo

That's sad because I use Spark Munitions 140 ELDM since that's what I found shoots good and I bought a whole bunch of it long ago. Now that I'm low on 6.5cm ammo, I was considering switching to the Prime 130 because from what I hear, Spark is loading the ammo for Prime. I don't need to switch because the ammo shoots well but I found it a bit slow @ 2720 from my 24 inch barrel. That would put me at 1.9 mils @ 400 yards and yesterday I noticed my barrel lost speed as I needed 2.2 mils to hit dead center at 400 yards.

Maybe I wont switch to the prime load after all...

I ordered a case of prime 6cm I hope it doesn’t shoot terrible out of my TRG.

May sound crazy, but if I were shooting a lot of factory ammo, I’d have barrel cut/threaded for a tuner like the Erik Cortina tuner. Has similar effect as adjusting seating depth.

I started running them on my barrels. If I have a match with a barrel I’m still getting the first 200 rounds on, I just load moderate charge and .020 off lands. Shoot a few groups adjusting the tuner until it turns into one hole, and done.

I know a few people using them with factory hornady. Every lot change, the readjust the tuner. It takes barely 1moa groups or worst and tightens them up sub .5 moa easily.

Solves problem of having to find a factory load that groups well in your rifle.

Bringing this thread back up as I've just started shooting 2 cases of 6CM 115g Prime that I purchased. First off average velocity has been right about 2,905fps out of a 26" 7.5T Proof steel barrel - not even 60 rounds down the tube yet though so hopefully I pick up some nice velocity gains. Gun and ammo are shooting .4-.6MOA five shot groups. It's a new gun and all I've put through it so far has been the 115g Prime, so not sure what gun is capable of with anything else, but 1/2moa is acceptable to me with factory ammo.

What's been a little troubling is velocity spread. My first trip out when chrono'ing I had one shot at 2,745fps which put the 5 shot string at an ES of 176! Subsequent trips and I've seen ES spreads of 50-60fps. I know this factory ammo, but at least in my head I'd put Prime a notch above something like Hornady factory ammo, but given the velocity spreads and accuracy it's about on par.