• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRIME Ammo…they dead?

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
Is PRIME Ammo still a thing?

I remember they were, then they were not, then they were agin.

Did a search and found a thread from 2023 where a fellow claims he placed an order and never got it.

I wen to their site and they have 1 choice, a case of 308, that’s it.

So are they defunct or what?

Reactions: Green Hood
I thought they were no longer in business since they couldn't source components during the shortage.

No definitive proof however.

I've heard Frank say a few times that certain Norma ammo is the old Prime stuff, which leads me to believe they are dead.

I've heard Frank say a few times that certain Norma ammo is the old Prime stuff, which leads me to believe they are dead.
While I honestly have no idea whether Prime is still in business, the reason for what Frank said about certain Norma ammo is that Norma used to make and supply the original Prime product line and then broke the deal once Prime had established a solid customer base here in the states.

Norma is still making some of those recipes today. I’d imagine specifically 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 REM, and likely 6 Creedmoor. Those are just guesses based upon the popularity of those Norma calibers.

Since then, Prime reappeared using Peterson brass and other components. Not much lately that I have seen though and it was my understanding that Prime is no longer.

Reactions: ZY100 and HPIguy
While I honestly have no idea whether Prime is still in business, the reason for what Frank said about certain Norma ammo is that Norma used to make and supply the original Prime product line and then broke the deal once Prime had established a solid customer base here in the states.

Norma is still making some of those recipes today. I’d imagine specifically 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 REM, and likely 6 Creedmoor. Those are just guesses based upon the popularity of those Norma calibers.

Since then, Prime reappeared using Peterson brass and other components. Not much lately that I have seen though and it was my understanding that Prime is no longer.
Ah, gotcha. I only know what I hear on the podcast.

Reactions: lash
Funny enough, I just shot up a bunch of 300BLK Prime ammo last weekend…has to be at least a year old. Dirty as hell!

Like Remington ammo just before the bankruptcy type of dirty, with a lot of gas and smoke generated too. No idea what powder was in those cartridges, but I’d swear there’s some black powder mixed in based on the amount of residue left behind. It was a mess to clean.

Funny enough, I just shot up a bunch of 300BLK Prime ammo last weekend…has to be at least a year old. Dirty as hell!

Like Remington ammo just before the bankruptcy type of dirty, with a lot of gas and smoke generated too. No idea what powder was in those cartridges, but I’d swear there’s some black powder mixed in based on the amount of residue left behind. It was a mess to clean.
I've found the Remington 77 grain match to be the preferred load for my 223 bolt gun. Federal is a very close second.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Norma just cut out prime and can be had cheaper than any other precision ammo.

Prime was just having RUAG box their shit up and selling it at a massive markup. They saw the game and decided why not cut out the middle man, we can profit while selling the ammo way cheaper than anyone else.

No shit Legit Sub 10 SD 1/2" MOA ammo for $22-25 a box. I have shot thousands of it in the last year and won a match with it last weekend. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

So does this mean all of my original recipe 308 is worth $2k per case? o_O

I still have about 1300 rounds of their .223 55gr Match+. Best shooting 55gr I've ever had. Consistent 1 MOA. Runs circles around any other FMJ which is usually around 2 MOA or worse. I've been shooting 75gr HPBTs for my match load mostly now, so I don't have a specific use for it. I think it would be a great load for shorter range carbine matches - certainly anything where you're hosing in a bay or even mid range stuff, say inside 300 yards. Love that they packed it all on nice plastic stripper clips too.

I had a couple of bricks of their .22 LR, I tried it at the range, and gave the rest of it away at the range the same day.........

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
I jsut had an interesting experience with Prime.

I saw the Hornady ad for the Dallas gun gathering on Facebook and jokingly suggested they bring a case of their 180 grain 7 PRC for me a a great discount price. After the show was over I got a note to try Prime ammo. I hit their Fakebook link and some guy calling himself Dave replied offering me a great price on a case and said he's send a number. He didnt so I tried the Prime site...Number disconnected, then I saw this thread.

Another scamming POS. They[re everywhere.

Edited to add: I suspect it had nothing to do with Prime itself but was just another turd. But I dont know.

Last edited:
I still have a decent amount of Prime 6.5 Creedmoor and .22.

The 6.5 Creedmoor never shot great for me, about 3/4 - 1 MOA. The SD's were good though.

I liked the Prime.260. Primarily because for about $25/box or less I could buy 200 rounds that shot decent and the RUAG brass has been gold in that caliber. Well over 20 loadings per case with the only losses being those I lose at matches. No losses due to failure.

Reactions: Baron23 and Maggot
The story that I read is Prime owed their supplier money, or that the supplier made them prepay before sending out anymore product. Prime couldn't come up with the money.

My AI liked their 6.5 manbun. I sold my AI. Now I have ammo from a company that doesn’t exist for a rifle I don’t own.

• Love
Reactions: Maggot
My AI liked their 6.5 manbun. I sold my AI. Now I have ammo from a company that doesn’t exist for a rifle I don’t own.
You should be able to sell that here as there are definitely fans of that ammo here. If it was master race .260, I’d be interested.

I liked the Prime.260. Primarily because for about $25/box or less I could buy 200 rounds that shot decent and the RUAG brass has been gold in that caliber. Well over 20 loadings per case with the only losses being those I lose at matches. No losses due to failure.
I still have a bout 5 cases of 260. My 260 gasser eats it up

Reactions: lash
The story that I read is Prime owed their supplier money, or that the supplier made them prepay before sending out anymore product. Prime couldn't come up with the money.
The one (story that is...no idea of its veracity) I remember was that after Prime established a good market for its products, Ruag (Prime's contract manf) demanded the right to buy Prime from Jim and basically put him out of business. Suits were then filed, blah, blah, blah. Then Prime when to Peterson/Sparks....then component availability issues seemed to have finally killed the brand, maybe??

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot