• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prime Ammo Moving Sale-Anyone take advantage?

LANCER

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Awesome deals on certain calibers. I got 3 cases of the 338LM. A steal at $489/case usually $1k. Basically loaded match ammo at a price equal or lower than empty brass. I got 1 case of the 308 175 OTM at $165 before the price went up to $289. Wish I had the money to buy 5 or more cases at that price. No longer that great of a deal, but still got one.
    The 338LM alone is worth getting a case or two. That shit's usually 9 bucks a round.

I bought two cases of .260, just to have in those rare times when reloading time is very scarce. For some reason, their .260 is usually $10 more per box than the 6.5 Creedmoor, even though they share the same 130g Norma bullet. With this sale, it is just about a good deal and it shoots decently in my rifles in a pinch.

Was going to order some .338LM from Prime but after asking some questions and getting less than stellar answers from them I decided to go with FGMM even at a higher cost.

I’ve never had an ammo ‘manufacturer’ or even a major reseller who was unable to answer basic questions about their own products.

I got 3 cases of the 338LM. Their ammo is made by Raug Ammotec in Switzerland. Great stuff!! You should have bought some Viper1973. Here are two of the three cases.
    E0C4A46C-3CE2-4893-AABA-8720900D6A24.jpeg

Reactions: LANCER
    Was going to order some .338LM from Prime but after asking some questions and getting less than stellar answers from them I decided to go with FGMM even at a higher cost.

I’ve never had an ammo ‘manufacturer’ or even a major reseller who was unable to answer basic questions about their own products.

What exactly did you ask? And what were their less than stellar answers?

What exactly did you ask? And what were their less than stellar answers?

I asked them for information on the bullets used in this particular round. Their response was “We don’t know whatever RUAG use”... end of response (wasn’t even signed).

I then went to the RUAG site and found out the bullet jackets are not copper but one of their Tombac mixes. Which according to the RUAG site can be either copper/nickel, copper/steel, or copper/zinc with any of a gazillion different percentages.

I then went back to Prime and asked which they spec’d for their ammo since RUAG doesn’t make any normal copper jacketed projectile.

Their response was “it’s Tombac”... end of answer.

I went back again and basically said that I already knew that but wanted to know which ‘version’ and asked if they knew which composition was spec’c.

Answer I got back was “We don’t know percentage”. Totally ignored the part of the question if they were copper/steel or copper/whatever.

I expect ANY manufacturer to provide better than partial sentence answers to questions about a product that they’re selling or have manufactured for them. For all I know this could be RUAGs copper/steel alloy stuff.

I realize that Prime has a following, supports the community and that many folks really like their products. However, just based on how they answered my questions and the lack of any answers I don’t believe theyre going to be the right manufacturer for ME. Your mileage may vary.

I think I’ll stick to Federal and Hornady as far as factory ammo. They’re totally upfront about what they manufacture and answer technical questions with more than “we don’t know”. Match barrels are way too expensive to shoot ammo of unknown composition through them.

I have love FGMM ammo as does my Tac Ops rifles!! All the research I did on Prime ammos 338LM was overwhelming positive. I understand if you don’t feel comfortable shooting it out of your gun but I have no problems. This is not ammo made in Russia. Everything I ever got out of Switzerland has been nothing but the best!! Huge Swisss made gun fan!!

I asked them for information on the bullets used in this particular round. Their response was “We don’t know whatever RUAG use”... end of response (wasn’t even signed).

I then went to the RUAG site and found out the bullet jackets are not copper but one of their Tombac mixes. Which according to the RUAG site can be either copper/nickel, copper/steel, or copper/zinc with any of a gazillion different percentages.

I then went back to Prime and asked which they spec’d for their ammo since RUAG doesn’t make any normal copper jacketed projectile.

Their response was “it’s Tombac”... end of answer.

I went back again and basically said that I already knew that but wanted to know which ‘version’ and asked if they knew which composition was spec’c.

Answer I got back was “We don’t know percentage”. Totally ignored the part of the question if they were copper/steel or copper/whatever.

I expect ANY manufacturer to provide better than partial sentence answers to questions about a product that they’re selling or have manufactured for them. For all I know this could be RUAGs copper/steel alloy stuff.

I realize that Prime has a following, supports the community and that many folks really like their products. However, just based on how they answered my questions and the lack of any answers I don’t believe theyre going to be the right manufacturer for ME. Your mileage may vary.

I think I’ll stick to Federal and Hornady as far as factory ammo. They’re totally upfront about what they manufacture and answer technical questions with more than “we don’t know”. Match barrels are way too expensive to shoot ammo of unknown composition through them.
    Meh!

Noah took a chance...

image.jpg

I have love FGMM ammo as does my Tac Ops rifles!! All the research I did on Prime ammos 338LM was overwhelming positive. I understand if you don’t feel comfortable shooting it out of your gun but I have no problems. This is not ammo made in Russia. Everything I ever got out of Switzerland has been nothing but the best!! Huge Swisss made gun fan!!

I saw numerous positives reviews of Prime which is what got me initially interested in them.

The only reason I posed the question to them to begin with was because I ruined the match barrel on a Wilson 1911 using Geco ammo - also made by RUAG - a few years ago. At that time there were selling ammo as copper jacketed when it was actually a copper/steel jacket. Since then I make absolutely sure what I’m actually buying.

I expected Prime to know what there spec was for what products carry the Prime name and some assurance of exactly what they were selling. Just based on their responses I got the impression that they either didn’t know and were just marketers or even worse, didn’t care.

Even with the cost differential I at least know when I buy a Federal or Hornady exactly what I’m getting.

First impressions matter and with me they didn’t leave a good one and subsequently lost my business. Not saying their product is ’bad’ just that it’s not the product for me. Plus, I shouldn't have to play detective to find out what I'm actually buying.

Last edited:
    Reactions: M5NSX
    Hmmmm I have some Geco ammo..... I definitely understand your caution towards their ammo now.

I sent them a message via Facebook, they read it and never bothered to reply.

I sent them a message via Facebook, they read it and never bothered to reply.

Doesnt surprise me based on how they responded to my questions. I just got the impression they’re only interested in moving product rather than supporting it. Most vendors at least try and make a good first impression... go figure.