• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primed Brass needing resized

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
how do you deal with primed brass that needs resized? or put another way, how do you decap brass that you cannot fire the primer off in a rifle?

Re: Primed Brass needing resized

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashnrondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can remove the decaping pin </div></div>

Are you saying I can remove it just as I would a fired primer in my FL resizing die?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crashnrondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can remove the decaping pin </div></div>

Are you saying I can remove it just as I would a fired primer in my FL resizing die? </div></div>

You can pull the decapping pin from the resizing die, or back it out (up) far enough to prevent the decap pin from touching the primer, while resizing the case or bumping back the shoulder as needed.

I didn't understand the second question in your OP. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or put another way, how do you decap brass that you cannot fire the primer off in a rifle? </div></div>

Do you want to remove the live primers? That can be done the same way as fired primers, just go slowly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you deal with primed brass that needs resized? or put another way, how do you decap brass that you cannot fire the primer off in a rifle? </div></div>

If you want to resize the case and keep the primer in place, simply remove the decaping pin from your die. If you want to pop the primer off also, keep the pin in and resize VERY SLOWLY. I use a decaping die for that.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you deal with primed brass that needs resized? or put another way, how do you decap brass that you cannot fire the primer off in a rifle? </div></div>

If you want to resize the case and keep the primer in place, simply remove the decaping pin from your die. If you want to pop the primer off also, keep the pin in and resize VERY SLOWLY. I use a decaping die for that. </div></div>

Thanks gents. Yes I want to remove a live primer. I inherited some brass that had either been pulled down or primed but never loaded. It good stuff but I want to start back at square one with it so I know its all good stuff.

use one of the cheapo universal lee decapping dies, that way if you get a little suprise you don't damage your favorite pricesless die. my 550 has had one or two of those surprises over the years and never had any real damage but......

I'm still unclear. The primers are live but don't fire?

If they are, I'd follow the above advice and pay particular attention to the cautions that are voiced.

Or...

If, on the other hand, you don't know if they will fire, then just go ahead and find out. You can chamber and attempt to fire just the primed brass. (Hint, this process can get LOUD!)

If ten out of ten work, I'd work on the fairly SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) assumption that the primed brass is good enough to use as is.

If you get misfires, just feed and fire the rest, clean the rifle really well, and handle the brass the same as any other fired brass.

This need not be a taxing mental exercise...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still unclear. The primers are live but don't fire?

If they are, I'd follow the above advice and pay particular attention to the cautions that are voiced.

Or...

If, on the other hand, you don't know if they will fire, then just go ahead and find out. You can chamber and attempt to fire just the primed brass. (Hint, this process can get LOUD!)

If ten out of ten work, I'd work on the fairly SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) assumption that the primed brass is good enough to use as is.

If you get misfires, just feed and fire the rest, clean the rifle really well, and handle the brass the same as any other fired brass.

This need not be a taxing mental exercise...

Greg </div></div>

greg-

I inherited some primed brass (10 or so pieces) that will not chamber in my .22-250 because of the shoulder. I dont want to throw it away but instead I want to remove the live primers and full length resize it so I can use it.

OK; you don't need to remove the primers, simply remove the decapping pin, or, as mentioned above, adjust the expander/decapper shaft upward so it resizes but doesn't touch the primer. As long as you don't do anything which may disturb or contaminate the primers, it's OK to resize the brass with the primers still inserted.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you deal with primed brass that needs resized? or put another way, how do you decap brass that you cannot fire the primer off in a rifle? </div></div>

If you need to full length resize them, then I don't think you can save the primers. This is because of the lubrication needed to FL resize. In that situation, you can FL size and decap in one step. JUST DO IT SLOWLY. (I have done that before).

If you only need to neck size it, then just take the decaping pin out and you are GTG. Good luck.

Don't overly agonise over decapping live primers. They ain't dynomite, even if they go off in the die it won't mean a thing. It IS a good idea to avoid a collection of live caps sitting in a primer catcher, they might offer a chance for a larger bang is one did spit out of the die in a hurry!

The primers can be saved easily enough and that's likely what I would do. As said above, either remove the decapping pin, or even easier, simply screw the decap rod high enough so the primers aren't touched.

There's no need for either a universal decapper OR a bushing die!

I have some brass that I prefer to deprime and not re-size, and a universal decapper is the perfect tool for that job, so I have one and use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 03psd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you deal with primed brass that needs resized? or put another way, how do you decap brass that you cannot fire the primer off in a rifle? </div></div>

If you need to full length resize them, then I don't think you can save the primers. This is because of the lubrication needed to FL resize. In that situation, you can FL size and decap in one step. JUST DO IT SLOWLY. (I have done that before).

If you only need to neck size it, then just take the decaping pin out and you are GTG. Good luck. </div></div>Just be careful and keep the lube on the outside of the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can run it through your decaping/sizing dies...just do it slooowww and carefully.

Take care,Stan </div></div>

Many after missed the original question.

They will pop back out if careful!

Keep separate.

Most were thinking bout sizing primed brass.

Thank's.

TC

I don't know. I would probably never decap a live primer. I mean what's the point? I wouldn't trust them for reuse. I think it's better to just chamber and fire them off anyway, then there's no issue.

Does anybody reuse decapped live primers? Do they work reliably?

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody reuse decapped live primers? Do they work reliably?</div></div>

Yep. I noticed no real difference from a virgin primer, but I didn't have the chrono out either.