• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

primer choice for .308

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
As we all know primers are getting harder to come by. My first choice is federal 215m for my .338 and 210m for the .308.

1st. What do you recommend as an alternative.

2nd. Opinions on mag primers in a .308.

I have I'm my possession some Remington 9.5m, some WLRM. Have any of you ever used either of those in a .308?

I have used federal, cci (standard and benchrest) and winchester... never really saw any difference for what I do, which is hunting game and long range steel. My .02, use what you can find.

My favs are CCI 200, CCI BR and Fed 210M. I have less trouble with tight fit/ loose fit with those than any other brands. I've used most every brand and can't see any difference on the target with any of them. I have never had ignition issues with the 308 with standard primers, even with ball powder, so I don't feel like you need magnum primers. If magnum primers are all that you have, reduce your charge a grain and try them. lightman

Don't take this the wrong way, but you likely will not be able to shoot the difference.
I readily interchange CCI 200, Fed 210, Fed 210M and Winchester primers and I have never seen ANYTHING that makes a difference.

I'm sure if you are a benchrest shooter looking for that last iota of accuracy at 600 yards there is a difference.
For the vast majority of shooters, especially tactical type shooters, just buy whatever is available or the cheapest of your choices.

I primarily shoot WLRP mostly because they are easy to find in my area even with all of this hording going on. Like mentioned above, just find something from a reputable company that goes bang and you should be fine.