• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer differences

DaveV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
_
With the supply chain as screwed up as it is, I, like most of you, have to take what I can get when it comes to primers. I am shooting .338LM and obviously use large magnum primers. My question is have any of you done any empirical testing with the same load and different primers across a chrono? If so, what brands do what?

Re: Primer differences

While I have never actually tested any, I have shot 300 WinMag loads with standard large rifle primers. It seems there is a hesitation in the ignition. Not a lot. But I could feel the firing pin strike before the rifle recoiled. Those 10 rounds were all I shot like that.

Keep us posted if you try any tests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the supply chain as screwed up as it is, I, like most of you, have to take what I can get when it comes to primers. I am shooting .338LM and obviously use large magnum primers. My question is have any of you done any empirical testing with the same load and different primers across a chrono? If so, what brands do what? </div></div>

I live south of Portland, if you are close enough to me I will give you a tray of 100 CCI LMR primers. A gentleman out at my range did the same for me when I was out of primers, so I am passing it forward to you. PM if your interested

Blue Skies

I don't have a 338L but I'll tell you what I have observed with what I have worked with. If you have a very sensitive load (meaning if you change the powered charge up or down slightly your accuracy drops), then you will probably notice a change. If you have a very "tolerant" load then your accuracy will probably stay the same. One thing that may change too is your ES and SD's, though probably not by much.

I am only talking about changing to different brands here though, not going from magnum primers to standard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost_Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the supply chain as screwed up as it is, I, like most of you, have to take what I can get when it comes to primers. I am shooting .338LM and obviously use large magnum primers. My question is have any of you done any empirical testing with the same load and different primers across a chrono? If so, what brands do what? </div></div>

I live south of Portland, if you are close enough to me I will give you a tray of 100 CCI LMR primers. A gentleman out at my range did the same for me when I was out of primers, so I am passing it forward to you. PM if your interested

Blue Skies </div></div>

Dang, that's awfully nice of you. I wish I lived in Portland now. I'm just getting started on loading ammo and having a hard time locating primers already. Hopefully by the time I get everything I need to start cranking them out they'llk be available.

Thanks for the offer! I am pretty squared away but with different brands. I'm not shooting BR and my goal is just to shoot MOA. Most of the pet loads I see for my caliber are using Federal primers. I'm shooting CCI's now and just bought some Winchester. I thought it might be a helpful project to chrono some rounds with different primers and post the results. I don't have a chrono but I would love to see what real world results look like with this kind of test.