• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Flow and load question?

opeagle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
I have two Remington's and noticed this put of the 20in gun. See pic. 20inch gun on the left, 24inch on the right.

Doesn't matter if it's my reloads or factory FGMM. It does this with everything that's been through it.

Question two.
We shot both of them, a 24in 5r and a 20in 5r for groups with some of my first reloads. I'm getting them ready for a class in a few weeks so whatever is decided is what will get loaded.

Federal cases
CCI BR2 primers
Varget and 175 SMK's
I loaded 42.6, 42.8 and 43 grains of powder. All groups were shot at 100 and were three round groups. I would have liked to shoot more but time did not allow. I also did not have access to a chronograph today.
20in. 24in.
42.6. .550 .240 average .395
42.8. .800 .450 average .625
43. .600 .950 average .775

My only concern is if I wil see a significant drop difference at 500 yards?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 8
Cratering usually comes from a poor fit of the firing pin to the bolt face hole, barrel length has no effect.

When I saw your thread topic I immediately thought remington. Primer flow is very common in these rifles. Nothing to be concerned about. Additionally, keep increasing your charge weight, you will likely find another node around 44.5g.

The only caveat is if you are having ejector swipe or a tight bolt ejection, then I would back down charge. Otherwise, sounds like you should go with 42.6. There won't be a significant difference at 500 yds with those loads.

Cratering usually comes from a poor fit of the firing pin to the bolt face hole, barrel length has no effect.

I agree. Cratering like this shows the primer metal is flowing back into the firing pin hole and around the firing pin itself. Ask a good 'smith about getting your bolt bushed for the right firing pin diameter. There are a few on here that do it for a decent price.