• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer issue?

xdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2005
North Dakota
Ive got an old friend that picked up a ruger american predator 223 just for a coyote gun. He's reloaded for 30+ years. Hes been scratching his head on this one. He loaded up a tried and true load and shot them. He ended up with primers that were protruding from the head upon opening the bolt. The primers didnt completely come out of thse head, just protruded, so you can hook them with a finger nail.

Thinking that he had a hot load, he then tried a factory loaded round and the same thing happened. Primer protruded. Not popped or pierced just protruded. Nice round edges. No sooting around the case mouth.

The first thing I could think of was his chamber is a bit long. Hes also tried his hand loads in several other rifles with no issues.

Thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks guys.

Xdeano

I know it’s a pain but Rugers customer service is fantastic. If he sends the rifle in I would tell him to include the brass/primer so they can see what it’s doing.

Ive got a go, no go gauges on the way. As soon as I get them, I'll run up there and check his gun. I'm thinking his chamber is just a bit generous in size. Probably still in spec. I'll also bring up my bump gauges to measure fired brass from his gun to factory, and his reloads. He doesn't have any tools for checking headspace. He's an old timer.

Xdeano

Measure the at the shoulder datum on an unfired round, then measure a fired round with the same setup.

What's the difference?

I'm thinking he's bumping his shoulders back too far during sizing.

This can be checked without gauges. Just use a caliper and a .40 S&W case.

"He's reloaded for 30+ years. "
"He doesn't have any tools for checking headspace. He's an old timer. "

No offense to your friend I'm sure he's a nice guy, but that is precisely why , "I started reloading the day Jesus was born", doesn't mean a fucking thing to me.

Measure the at the shoulder datum on an unfired round, then measure a fired round with the same setup.

What's the difference?

I'm thinking he's bumping his shoulders back too far during sizing.

This can be checked without gauges. Just use a caliper and a .40 S&W case.

For a 223, you'll need a 32 ACP or 32 S&W.
That 40 will drop all the way past the shoulder.
Remember, the 40 is for 473 case head cartridges.

I agree, it sounds like a headspace issue. That's the only way a primer can back out.

The issue can be with the ammunition, or it could be the rifle.

He's having issues with both factory loaded ammo and hand loads so it points to chamber size. If I ever get a moment I'll run up there and find out for sure.

Xdeano

[/QUOTE]
"He's reloaded for 30+ years. "
"He doesn't have any tools for checking headspace. He's an old timer. "

No offense to your friend I'm sure he's a nice guy, but that is precisely why , "I started reloading the day Jesus was born", doesn't mean a fucking thing to me.

Most people started to reload back in the day to save money...
Xdeano

I am not an expert, but just say his chamber is BIG. If his primers are getting kicked back, the only thing holding them in is the bolt face, as with all rifles, but the primers should be flat as pancake, not radiused. It is still 60K pressure. Also, no soot on or around the case mouth not good either, if the chamber was that oversize, I'd expect soot coming back on the shoulder too.
I would proceed with caution

Well I've got the go, no go gauges in hand. Now to find a time with harvest finally going on up here.
Xdeano

The RRV lol. I help out with sugar beet, soybean, and corn harvest part time around my ndsu Class schedule. This past weekend was my first time stepping foot in the field this fall. Been a damn depressing year in general, but this fall has been terrible. Guys around here finally just started being able to touch the soybeans that are on tiled ground this week.