• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer pocket cleaning

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
Does not brushing out the carbon thats left after you tumble your brass for about 1.5 hours make difference in accuracy? Or is there any other problems this cause. I have loaded many handgun rounds and never cleaned the primer pocket other than what the tumbler does but I am new to precision rifle reloading.

Re: Primer pocket cleaning

Makes no difference in my experience. I quit doing it.

I would still make sure that media is not clogging the holes.

+1 I don't do it on my personal rounds. I've tested it, and I didn't see any difference. For customers match ammo on fired brass, I'll clean the pocket while I inspect the flash hole.

I agree, it makes no difference. Like Rafael said, I make sure nothing is in the flash hole, and that there is no other crud in the primer pocket that will affect seating the primer.

James

On tip on media in the flash-hole.....

I was getting about 20 out of 100 cases with walnut stuck in the hole, had to pick them out.
doc76251 suggested I spin them longer in my Midway media separator. I did just that and my last batch of 100 cases had only 2 cases with walnut still stuck in the hole.

Made a big difference just spinning a few more revolutions.

Yea, I have a good catch for that I put all may brass out of the tumble primer pocket up in my ammo case. I can check every flashhole quickly with a flash light before priming. I use a real small walnut shell media and don't get media in the flash hole a lot.

I personally completely clean my primer pockets including taking a jewelers screwdriver and making sure the bottom corner is clean. This is where the primer anvil seats if there is any residue there it can affect seating depth, seating pressure and ignition, which will mess with velocity.

Not really relevant for 100. but at 1000 Yds it becomes important, every detail is magnified by 10.

Clean it or don't but I still say you need to uniform and chamfer the flash holes the first time you reload the case.

FYI I have a bunch of factory match cases that I just got done reloading for the 6th time. I uniformed and chamfered the first time and then gave a couple of turns on the flash holes each time after that to clean the pockets. Fed cases were the worst offenders but I lost about 20% of the cases - zero resistance when seating; and about 5% wherein the primer literally fell out of the pocket. With my current batch of new cases that I have prepped and loaded I intend to get one of those pocket brushes that I can stick in a cordless.

Also FYI I deduced that Win primers have slightly thinner cups than Fed.

Good luck

I don't clean them as a rule. I've never noticed any degradation on group size by not doing this. If I do anything to the pockets it is to uniform them prior to firing and doing the flash holes. The flash hole thing is most important of the two if you ask me.

Greg L.

When using brand new brass what are your favorite tools to uniform and clean up the flash holes? I was just looking over 500 new winchester 22 250 cases and some of the flash holes are pretty bad. Jeff

I think that it is a personal preference thing. When I load for my rifle I usually clean the pockets everytime just as the benchrest shooters do. The thing is I only load about 50 rounds so it doesn't take long. I also use the primer pocket uniformer on all my brass when I prep new brass to square the bottom of the primer pocket hole and debur the flashole on the inside.
You can also use a finer grade of corn cob that will clean the pocket as it is polished.
Sometimes it's also just a head thing just knowing that you have prepped your brass the beat that you can.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject
larrj

I brush them out too. What the heck? I chuck the brush into my drill and zip em clean. Doesn't take more than a second per case, removes no brass and gives me another opportunity to check for cracks or signs of impending seperation.

Its up to you,but there have been tests done and no difference was found. The only thing I will add is I also shoot alot of Black Powder Ctg, Rifles. In those cases YOU HAVE to clean the pocket or the powder residue will corrode the brass away.