• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Pocket Flash Holes-Rifle Brass

mike4aera

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2017
I have seen a couple of comments pertaining to the flash holes in small rifle primer pockets. These comments indicated that the flash holes are smaller than in large rifle primer pockets and one would need to change out the decapping pin on their neck sizing/full length resizing dies. My 6.5CM brass has large rifle primer pockets. During my initial brass prep, I use a flash hole bit and remove burrs and uniform each flash hole. Can this same step be done to brass with small primer pockets or would that change have a negative impact on the brass/ballistic performance of the round.

Just because something has a small primer doesnt mean it has a small flash hole. None of my 223 brass has a small flash hole, none of my .473 case head chamberings that use small primer that I have tried have a small flash hole besides my br based cartridges.

I cant speak to what yours or anyone elses has but just because one example has it doesnt mean they all have it.

People on bechrest sites that Ive read have found that opening the lapua br cases small flash holes up didnt improve anything.