• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NodakBarbarian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2019
North Dakota
I was wondering what y’all do for primer pocket preparation of your fired brass after it is wet tumbled with stainless media? I just purchased a set up to wet tumble. So going forward do I need to do anything with the primer pockets of my Lapua brass now that it’s squeaky clean? Are there any cons to just priming them with my Forster CoAx without doing any prep work to the primer pocket such as uniforming them before each reload?

Deprime fired case
Wet tumble with stainless media
Separate brass from stainless media
Then do your brass prep like normal
Prime
Go shoot
Repeat.

if your buying Lapua brass I wouldn’t mess with anything in the primer pockets. Just deprime clean and reprime

I just did this live on what you're taking about. Especially for crimped primers. I decap right out of the gate and prep primer pockets before it even goes into the first wash

I was wondering what y’all do for primer pocket preparation of your fired brass after it is wet tumbled with stainless media? I just purchased a set up to wet tumble. So going forward do I need to do anything with the primer pockets of my Lapua brass now that it’s squeaky clean? Are there any cons to just priming them with my Forster CoAx without doing any prep work to the primer pocket such as uniforming them before each reload?

I have never found the need to do anything to Lapua primer pockets. Some RP 308 and some Hornady 6.5 cases have messed up pockets that need uniforming.

Reactions: NodakBarbarian
I uniform the primer pockets on everything that I load, even Lapua. Do whatever lets you sleep good!

Why would you need or want to uniform the pp after every firing???

I don’t know why it would be needed, I haven’t done anything to the Lapua primer pockets aside from clean them when I was tumbling with corncob media. I was wondering if @lightman does this every time and if so why.

I've found it's easier on me to deprime, clean the pockets then wet tumble. I found that any pocket residue that did not get removed during the wet tumble seemed to be "baked" on after drying, so I started cleaning the pockets before wet tumbling. Now I don't have to do any additional prep work on the pockets except deal with crimps where necessary.

Do you uniform the primer pockets of your Lapua brass every time you reload them or just after the first firing?
Yes I do, unless I tumble them. But mostly because I use the same tool to clean out the carbon from firing them. Apparently the pressure from firing them causes the brass to migrate because I get a small amount of brass evertime.