• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer pocket swage….Dillon 550

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
x79RXD.jpg

Has anyone used one of these in their 550?

Primer pocket swage

Using this while running military crimped primer brass through the trimmer seems like a good way to kill 2 birds with one stroke of the press.

Last edited:
Have the separate Dillon unit. Love it, would hate to get Into goofy frame stuff...

Have the separate Dillon unit. Love it, would hate to get Into goofy frame stuff...
This stuff is so subjective.

I absolutely hated that thing too.

I much prefer the mighty armory thing that goes on my old rock chucker. Much faster and more ergonomic, especially with all the inline fab bins.

Economy of motion and whatnot. Dillon super swage ain't for me.

I tried several different kinds of on-the-press swagers. (Not on a Dillon press) The fastest of which was CH4D. Not one of them gave consistent results. Probably 30% of my swaged cases were still so hard to prime the primers were deformed by the time they were seated. (I prime on the press) I bought the Hornady reamers and turned the shanks down enough to chuck into a drill and don't even try to swage any more.

Consistent depth is a priority. I can see potential issue with this because of varying rim thickness how ever slight it may be. Can’t see how you’d ever generate enough leverage to crack a frame.
Thanks for the input….

I have the Swage-It for the Dillon 550 and 650 and like them. I use them for bulk processing 5.56 and 5.7x28 brass. While I will end up with a few cases that are still tougher than I'd like to seat a primer, for bulk brass processing they are a thumb/time saver. Just like anything, if you put too much effort into it, you're going to break shit. I see no way this thing is going to break my press, so long as I make sure the mounting bolts stay tight, the brass is lined up properly, and I don't try to force my way through a tougher push...say from a primer that got torn and left the sides of the primer in the pocket.

Reactions: hangunnr
Bought this for my 650 based on this thread, thought I would give it a try - works well, easy install and remove, not quite as good as cutting crimps with a RCBS or Hornady cutter (had about 5 primers get stuck/caught out of 300 rounds) but _way_ faster - worth the time saving for blaster ammo.