• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Pocket Uniformer

Cowboy

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Any advice on what primer pocket uniforming tool to get? I'm looking for something I can chuck in an electric drill (large rifle only). The Possum Hollow and Lyman tools look promising. Suggestions?

Re: Primer Pocket Uniformer

Do not get the Possum Hollow uniformer, the carbide cutter is undersized and will not uniform the entire primer pocket. Get either the Sinclair or the K&M Services primer pocket correction tool. The K&M unit comes with a drill adapter already, the Sinclair unit, you have to buy it seperatley.

here is a link to the K&M unit http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/me...ME_POCK_CORR_KM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Sinclair set with the power adapter. Simple stuff that works..

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>
My brother and me tried 4 different Lee, RCBS, Opossum , and Lyman before we found what we were looking for with the Sinclair set with the power adapter. It's machined and won't loose it's setting if a set screw happens to work loose, so every one will be the same depth if you make it that way. We've probally did 9 or 10,000 cases without incident. Cleans them up nicely after firing, also.

Thanks everyone. I like the looks of the K&M.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone. I like the looks of the K&M. </div></div>

+1 for K&M, can't beat their stuff.

Be careful if you are putting your primer pocket uniformer in a drill. I toss more cases due to loose primer pockets than anything else. It's easy to get too aggressive with a drill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful if you are putting your primer pocket uniformer in a drill. I toss more cases due to loose primer pockets than anything else. It's easy to get too aggressive with a drill. </div></div>

Use a low speed battery powered screwdriver and all will be good.
Respectfully,
LG

I bought a Redding and it works great. It comes with a adapter for a drill and a handle. They are factory set like the sinclair so you cant cut too deep. Well priced too.

Really like the Sinclair stuff.Really made with quality and craftmanship.K&M is good,too.My opinion,with special tools like this, the high-end tools cost more and work better than the production tools from the reloading tool manf. For what it's worth. Lightman

I put the sinclair right in the chuck of my variable speed hand drill, if it will fit in the chuck you don't need the adapter.

I use the Dillon Primer Pocket Swage. It does not remove any metal, it swages it back into the proper size.If there is a crimp, it irons it out back into the head of the case.
I have noticed that my case life is at least 20% longer as the primer pocket has stayed nice and tight.
The feel of the handle has plenty of feed back and you know if there is a problem with a batch of cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rapidrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Dillon Primer Pocket Swage. It does not remove any metal, it swages it back into the proper size.If there is a crimp, it irons it out back into the head of the case.
I have noticed that my case life is at least 20% longer as the primer pocket has stayed nice and tight.
The feel of the handle has plenty of feed back and you know if there is a problem with a batch of cases. </div></div>

I've got a SS-600 too, as well as the Hornady reaming bits which have worked well for many years.

I think that they're talking about uniforming the bottom of the primer pockets and not rolling/reaming the primer crimps out.

Uniforming the primer pockets allows you to regularly seat primers below flush.

I have used the Sinclair Lg/Sm carbide uniformers w/drill holder for a few plus years and they work quite well.

Chris

OK, I was just posting the swage die does make the primer pocket round and of the correct diameter.
I use the Lyman attachment for the case trimmer for proper depth of the pocket.