• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Question/New/In Stock

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I am new to reloading and I had some questions hopefully you could help me out.

1.) What is the differece between the 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 in the small rifle primers? Can you use either of them?
2.) What is the differece between the 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 in the large rifle primers? Can you use either of them?
3.) What size primers do you use in a 45ACP Pistol? Can you use the Magnum primers also?
4.) What size primers do you use in a 50AE Desert Eagle Pistol? Do you or can you use the magnum primers?
5.) What size do you use in a .300 Winchester Magnum Rifle? The large Magnum primers I would suppose, Right?
6.) If you had the choice to stock up on Hodgdon or Vihta Vuori powders for a .223 and money was no option which would you chose?
7.) Will Forester, Hornady, Lee, Redding Dies work in a RCBS single stage press?
8.) Is it worth buying a bench mounted automatic priming tool or stick with the hand held RCBS? Is the bench mounted better? Does it seat them better or what?
9.) What and where are the Bushings on the RCBS Rock Chucker Single Stage Press? I see you cant order them individually on some sites. I am still waiting for my press kit to get here from the UPS. Do they come with the kit? With the Dies? (I am sure this is a stupid question but I am new to this.)/

By the way I seen Midwayusa had the Federal Gold Medal match small rifle primers In Stock for like 20mins this morning. I was up at 7am and they were sold out! I was online last night till 2am and they were not for sale yet. So between that time they must of got them and sold them. FUCK I missed them!!!!!!

Thanks for the help.

I NEED PRIMERS! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Primer Question/New/In Stock

1. yes
2. yes
3. large pistol, yes
4. Same
5. you can, yes
6. hodgon
7. yes
8. either works fine. many like the hand press for better feel
9. don't know

I can help on a few answers:
1st thing get a good reloading book.. or two or three.
Read open thread on reloading at top of this forum.
Buy a chronograph, when you are developing a load it is the only way to know what your doing.

Rem 6 1/2 DO NOT USE ON .223 I have 500 I am giving to a friend for his 218 bee. Rem says do not use on .223
Rem 7 1/2 are their BR primers and suitable for all small rifle applications.
9 1/2 is their large rifle primers
9 1/2M is their large rifle magnum
do not know what a 8 1/2 is.

45ACP large pistol primer, yes you can use a magnum primer BUT!! load must be adjusted for the hotter primer.

50AE large pistol primer, yes you can use a magnum primer BUT!! load must be adjusted for the hotter primer.

300 Winchester Magnum: large rifle magnum

If money was no object I would buy ammo and not reload.LOL
Too many variables to answer the question, your gun will make most of your decisions for you.

priming is a personal choice. I use a forster bench mounted unit with my co-ax otherwise I have a hornady progessive reloader for pistol ammo

All the dies should work on your press

Asking lots of questions is good. See if you can find a local who reloads to help you out. If you belong to a gun club ask there first they would be glad to help you.

Buy some books: hornady,speer,nosler and go online and look up the powder manufactures they have good info on there sites

Get a notebook and take really good notes on your load developments.

It only take one mistake to really mess up your day.

Where in PA are you? I have primers for SRmag, I'm next to Philly.

A friend of mine is in Columbus OH, he's got some SRmag primers as well.

1)yes, if you are using them in a rifle without a floating firing pin. So not in an AR-15

2)yes
3)Large Pistol, and yes
4)dunno, dunno
5) LRM's
6) Shooter preference, I use Hodgdon 'cuz it's cheaper in the US
7)Yes
8)I have a Lee handheld, it's nice to prime cases and watch TV at the same time
9)If you bought the press, it doesn't need bushings now, if you bought the whole Rockchucker kit you're well suited to start loading already.