• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Recommendations

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Looking into whether or not I should move from priming on my 550C to either a handheld unit or a bench top unit. If my lotto numbers came up Id go for the CPS, but unfortunately I have yet to do so. Ive been fairly happy with my dillon, but sometimes wonder if having better feel would help. At the current time, I basically press until I feel adequate resistance and check if its below flush.

I’ve seen the 21st Century hand primer, and although I think its the finest made primer besides the CPS, Im worried it will be too slow. I only load around 100 rnds at a time, but do have to load the odd 300+ for matches/courses. The other option was the RCBS Auto Primer wither with or without the Holland upgrade. Looking to get any feedback as to what will work best for my needs and if anyone has noticed much of a difference in accuracy between their precise units and their press mounted units.
Also anyone who uses the Holland upgrade, did you find it worth the $120 or does the base unit work fine.

Lee auto prime. The feel vs a 650 is much, much better. They are cheaply made and will wear out fairly fast.

I"m considering the frankford arsenal. They say you can adjust the depth of seating, you don't need additional shell holders and you can do it alway from your bench (a plus for me at least). The 550 is good for most of my loadings, but as I get into trying to do more precise loadings I'm looking at all of the options from case prep to components.

Just started using the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool (http://rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Tools/Automatic-Priming-Tool.aspx); so far so good, it came highly recommended to me from a very experienced reloader. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had to be mounted at the edge of the bench so that the handle stuck out into the bench area. I checked online and found In Line Fabrication (https://inlinefabrication.com/) who are making me a stand that will allow me to mount it 90 degrees so that the handle will be parallel to the edge of the bench. If you turn it like that you need to raise it about 3"-4" off the bench so that the handle will clear the bench when seating a primer. I'm already happy with it but I think I will be very happy once I get it turned and get the handle out of my way.

Just started using the RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool (http://rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Tools/Automatic-Priming-Tool.aspx); so far so good, it came highly recommended to me from a very experienced reloader. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had to be mounted at the edge of the bench so that the handle stuck out into the bench area. I checked online and found In Line Fabrication (https://inlinefabrication.com/) who are making me a stand that will allow me to mount it 90 degrees so that the handle will be parallel to the edge of the bench. If you turn it like that you need to raise it about 3"-4" off the bench so that the handle will clear the bench when seating a primer. I'm already happy with it but I think I will be very happy once I get it turned and get the handle out of my way.

Damn, I never thought of that. I was toying with the idea of getting a quick change plate from inline fab and a wall mount so I could store it off my bench when not in use, but then Id have this handle sticking out, just waiting to be ran into or pulled.
If you dont mind, would you either post here or PM me with a pic of your setup inline fab is making once it comes in?

Damn, I never thought of that. I was toying with the idea of getting a quick change plate from inline fab and a wall mount so I could store it off my bench when not in use, but then Id have this handle sticking out, just waiting to be ran into or pulled.
If you dont mind, would you either post here or PM me with a pic of your setup inline fab is making once it comes in?

Happy to, I just ordered it on the 12th; not sure how long it takes to build and ship but I will definitely post a pic when I get it.

As promised; here's two pics of the set-up Dan at InLine Fabrication built for me to get the handle of my primer out of my floor space. I have plenty of bench space so this will work great for me. I haven't bolted it down yet as I'm still toying with exactly where to put it.

IMG_3200.JPG
IMG_3201.JPG

As promised; here's two pics of the set-up Dan at InLine Fabrication built for me to get the handle of my primer out of my floor space. I have plenty of bench space so this will work great for me. I haven't bolted it down yet as I'm still toying with exactly where to put it.

View attachment 6976161View attachment 6976162

I also have one of these RCBS bench priming tools. I haven’t used mine yet. I was going to use it when I start loading my 6.5 CM. This is very interesting Powerspc.

I have the century 21 hand primer and think it's a great option. I load in batches of 100 and priming one at a time has never been an issue.