• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer seating for 338LM

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have an RCBS hand primer that is supposed to work with LR and SR. I cant get the 338LM shell holder to fit into it. Should it? Or do I need another part?

Re: Primer seating for 338LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an RCBS hand primer that is supposed to work with LR and SR. I cant get the 338LM shell holder to fit into it. Should it? Or do I need another part? </div></div>

Nope!. You should be good to go. Make sure that you have the RCBS #14 shell holder. I use the same system and has no problem with it.

WHOA! I bought 5 or 6 RCBS shellholders and had no luck with them.

I was advised in the reloading section to use the Redding unit. Works on all .338LM brass.

The RCBS unit did not allow the base of the case to rest on the floor of the shellholder. The case chamfer above the case rim was resting on the chamfer of the shellholder.

Take a look at the reloading section under .338LM loads.

Maybe RCBS corrected this?????

If you have the rcbs hand priming tool, you have to use one of their shellholder. I ran into the same problem before. Get rcbs shellholder # 14 and you will be good to go , if you are reloading Lapua brass.

david

+1 on what Gunner75 says. I am using the Redding .338 LM shellholder I got from Adam Bauer in my RCBS priming tool with Lapua brass and Federal 215 primers. Works great.