• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

primer shortage solution ??

Re: primer shortage solution ??

Very good to know Will. Thanks for the link. maKes me feel a little guilty for throwing away all those thousands of decapped primers over the years!

Any idea where to get match grade matches?
grin.gif

That's going to be the next shortage !!
wink.gif

heh heh heh ... already have mine some vintage stuff from about 15 - 20 years ago. Yes, they still light. Bought them when a "Mom & Pop" hardware store was going out of business. That and plumbers candles and a few Lodge cast iron utensils.

Odd that the cheapest part in the reloading process has now digressed to this...

When I was a kid (Circa 1974), we used to make our own "fireworks" using regular book matches. I won't say how we did it because it resulted in serious injuries to a couple kids way back when. Suffice to say, I see no reason why this would not be a viable field expedient. And much easier to do on a reloading press!

Any clue as to how one would make a non neutralizing binder that would re-solidify the mix without obstructing or minimizing the burn. I have to think squibs are highly probable in this construction but am interested to find out.

I watched about 20 seconds of that video. When he mentioned the Hi Point forum I had to shut it off.

BTW, there is no primer shortage. There is primer hysteria thanks to the chosen one.

There sure is a primer shortage. Brought on by stupid vendors who didn't raise prices when demand continued to shift outward.

Spent some time looking around that site, a lot of the stuff on there is just plain incredibly hazardous to attempt. My own experience in USMC Engineers included a little bit of time spent on improvised stuff, and none of that stuff was in there. I also had some improvised solid fuels chemistry/rocketry experience from science club in high school. Some of this stuff actually looks like it was intended to backfire on the reader. Materials handling/preparation instructions are outrageously haphazard at the very least. I also wonder if folks who visit the site are being included in any watch lists.

I would think that you already know that all of us military boys and gals are on a watch list. Like all thinks from the internet you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I do know however from my expriance with 10th SFG and 5th SFG (NO I WAS NOT AN 18 Series, not everyone in these units eat snakes). Any way from my experiance working with these guys, alot of what is in this guid is both fesable, and possible. Like all skills, they should be developed and honed over time, and in a safe environment.

Not that I would ever go to the extreams of making my own primers, God knows I have to try and test this one out some day in the near future. It would be a cool, tool to have in the old toolbox just in case of the perverbial rainy day.

Matches? Is is said way,way,way back in the hey day.like 1800's,the Apaches improves a method of using matches to ignite their homemade reloaded cartigrides. I' am still looking for docomentions. It is also said that loaded rounds were so valuable that an empty case filled with dust gold was exchange for a live round!

I just posted that for general knowledge, furthering education. I was never a "field engineer" (Sapper, but I did hold 2 technical engineer MOS) but having to provide range support and later just working around those guys gave me lots of "OTB" knowledge for field expedient stuff.
As far as throwing rocks ... you do have surgical (stretch) tubing in your household repair gear ? Don't you ?

Thank you <span style="font-weight: bold">Will</span>. I will have to give this a try some time.

For those that are really interested the entire manual is available on line.
This method of reusing a primer was never intended to be anything but an absolute worst case to keep the person in ammo. I wouldn't even try it if there was any other choice.

I've done it. It works, but it would be nice to find a safe way to make improvised primers a little hotter for some rifle powders.

You guys are so old school anymore. Search "shotshell primer mix",... save your old primers then learn how to correct the cup an anvel.

Think out of the box for once,
grin.gif

If the store closes, the world will go on, led by those that can work with their hands an minds.

I'd prefer to learn how to make (and gather the materials for) regular old lead styphanate. A little glass powder added, and a little lacquer to hold it together, and little paper circles to protect them a bit, and off we go.

I'd even be happy with the easier-to-make Chlorate primer mix. Just clean with water-based cleaner and oil the bore for 3 days after shooting. Worked for decades, it did, and they were plenty hot.

There are also documented ways to batch up the process using simple physical means to make all the primer charges pretty consistent and done in a "gang" setup. Just keep 'em wet and handle with care.