• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Storage

Tickle

Exhale....Squeeze
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Georgia
I keep all of my primers and powder in a steel cabinet on my reloading bench in my garage. Any of you take any special precautions in regards to moisture? My garage is just a normal 2 car garage, not insulated or anything. To be honest I haven't given this much thought until the recent supply shortage. Here's a picture of my bench.

IMG_20131111_183915_554.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20131111_183745_270.jpg
    IMG_20131111_183745_270.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I was given some primers once that were stored underneath a trailer house for probably a year in a tupperware storage box. In Louisiana, which is similar to Ga as far as humidity. They all went bang. The cabinet in your pic appears to have louvers for ventilation? Personally I would put them in a ammo can with a little dessicant, but that's just me. I'm pretty sure your primers are actually fine where they are.

I'll probably get some tupperware containers this weekend and some dessiccant. As hard as these are to come by these days I don't want to chance it. Thanks for the reply.

Store all mine in a temp controlled basement with desiccant and 70pint dehumidifier running. Gives a little piece of mind that the shelf life is going to be as long as possible even though I'm going through about 2k a year in large primers.

Store all mine in a temp controlled basement with desiccant and 70pint dehumidifier running. Gives a little piece of mind that the shelf life is going to be as long as possible even though I'm going through about 2k a year in large primers.

Same here. I keep mine in the vacuum storage bags which use a ziplock style closure and then you can suck out any excess air and it keeps out moisture.

For long term storage of components, powder, primers, loaded ammo. I'd think the garage would be the least favorable. I load in my garage also, but only have enough out here to get the job done, and then restock.

ysujeqyv.jpg

Is the dining room/reloading room an acceptable answer? My wife is forgiving and we don't use the room often. :) No that's not the only place, some are in desiccant too... and only have my portable stuff in the dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I keep some in the safe (which has a Golden Rod dehumidifier). The rest are upstairs in the closet.

They say cool and dry are the best storage conditions for powder and primers. Sure they may still go bang, but how consistent will they be if left to humidity? We go to great lengths to use bench rest primers, or primers that will perform the best with our set-up. why leave degradation to chance even if it's just a small amount?

Consistency is key.

I kep mine in the garage also. Since it is just a small garage, and my water heater is in there, it works well for me. I had to replace my water heater last year and I installed one of the new heat pump style water heaters. It saves on my electric bill and also takes the humidity out of the air. It was a win win for me.

Same here. I keep mine in the vacuum storage bags which use a ziplock style closure and then you can suck out any excess air and it keeps out moisture.

Great idea - thanks. I've got a case of primers I haven't yet tapped into....May look for one of those space bags at walmart that is about the right size and vacuum seal them up.

I guess only me never care about it to much.. i just leave it in one of garage hanging cabinet..some almost 12 yrs(when started realiading) and still go boom..:)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great ideas guys, I've got about 3000 GM215M and about 2000 #210's. Going to get a big tupperware container and move them into a utility closet in the garage with my water heater.

Again thanks for all the replies.