• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Stuck in RCBS hand priming tool

_RJ_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
OR, AK
I have a live primer that apparently got caught up in a former crimped priming hole. The outside of the primer is visibly damaged and it would seem obvious not to try and punch it back out due to detonation, correct? So, what do I do to get the primer out of the brass and priming tool?

THANKS -Ryan-

The pick is pointing at at the primer that is stuck in the tool and hole. The primer is elongated so it has to come out.
b4ta53.jpg

Re: Primer Stuck in RCBS hand priming tool

Having not used a hand primer before, not sure this would work, but it looks like you can just pull the shellholder out of the priming tool & put it back into your press, case, primer & all. Then use your decapping die to s l o w l y press the primer back out. Wear eye protection.

Run the decapping stem down a little farther so you aren't trying to re-resize the case.

I've pressed out primers before and haven't had any detonate. It's the smack that makes them go, a slow press shouldn't.

good luck.

Use whatever depriming rod you have, wrap the whole thing in a towel and gently tap on the rod. Chances are it will not detonate. If it does, the towel will protect you. Just yesterday I seated a primer upside down and lightly tapped it out. The primer looked as though it had been struck by a firing pin but it did not detonate. Good luck.

If you are uncomfortable with what the earleir posters have said, I'll bet that if you contacted RCBS, they would tell you to send them the tool and they would replace it, just to mitigate any liability risks.

I know Dillon does exactly that. If you get a rpiemr stuck in one of their primer tubes, they'll give you a new tube.

Jim G

Thanks to all that replied. After RCBS contact's me I will see what my options are and post the end result.

Will water cause the primer to be null and void or is there still a chance it could go off after filling a case with water?

I've had this happen & here's how I've dealt with it. I'm not saying this is the best way, the only way or the safest way... You're on your own and your mileage may vary.

The problem is that the brass can't be removed from the holder with the primer stuck that way, and the whole assembly can't be removed from the priming tool because of it's design (the primer rod has to be removed first, but obviously this isn't possible in this case).

So - what I've done is very slowly and deliberately continued to press the damaged primer up into the primer pocket (squishing it). Occasionally, I've had to rotate the brass in the shell holder and press (squish) it several times before the primer is in far enough to pull the brass from the shell holder.

Can it go off? I've always assumed that it can. Safety glasses, pointing it in a safe direction, wearing gloves and wrapping the whole thing in a towel to contain it if it detonates could mitigate it if it does go off. Mine never have, and I've dealt with this perhaps 10 times over 7000 rounds.

I've always discarded the brass / squished primer, but as noted, once it's freed up, you could try gently depriming it (again, knowing that it could go off). I've deprimed non-damaged primers successfully (never detonated one) but again, I've always assumed that it could go off and take precautions.

Why have I handled it this way? Weighing the risks / rewards, I felt OK that if it detonated I wouldn't get hurt and nothing would be damaged - and I'd be back up and running in a matter of minutes.

The cause of mine have always been crimped primer pockets where I didn't do a good enough job during prep. Also, it's always been .223.

Long pin punch or universal depriming pin and rod. Gently tap or push out. Gloves and glasses, just in case.

Everyone says glasses and gloves. People that have not had one detonate leave out one piece of equipment....EARS.

You will most likely cram it up in there without detonation. Ask me how I know to wear ears too.
whistle.gif

You can take it apart. Remove the flat peice that ceeps the handle from going all the way back. Pull the handle back till you see the plunger. Its the round peice that set on top of the ball. Push the plunger with a small screwdriver. This should let the handle free, then the pluger,spring and priming rod will fall out. Now can pull the shell holder and plastic guid out. Now you can put it in your press and push the primer out.
Hope this helps

I found myself in the same predicament with a Fed match primer and undetected crimped Hornady brass. I disassembled the device and carefully prized the partially seated primer back out with the sharp edge of a dental instrument engaging the side wall of the primer leveraged against the cartridge base going incrementally around the perimeter of the primer. The same maneuver could have been done without dissassembly by spinning the cartridge in the device while backing out the primer. A long pointed thin blade on a pocket knife should sub for my dental tool.

THANKS EVERYONE. I ended up going with Bryce6750 and disassembled the RCBS priming tool and put it in my press. It worked great, thanks again to everyone.

If you ever feel the need upgrade, the new RCBS hand primers have pretty much universal tops that do not require shell holders. They use two spring loaded plates on two sides to hold any case once slid in from the side. I've had a few go sideways, and its a simple matter of pushing back one side of the holder since its spring laded and easily pulling the case out. Saves a lot of painful work getting one out like you had get stuck.