• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers are noisey!

Iloveguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
Arizona
Was making snap caps out of reloads and fired off a couple primers. Did not realize how loud they get in a closed garage!! First one I had muffs on didn't sound bad, took off for the second one and then realized some one might call the Po-Po! Freaking loud. Not good to do when the other houses are right on top of you. Wont make that mistake twice. Anyone else ever pull this maneuver?

Re: Primers are noisey!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anyone else ever pull this maneuver? </div></div>

I fired off an empty but primed brass ONCE in the garage. Loud as hell and a fair amount of gas out of the barrel.

I'll never forget the time when I was about 13 and thought it would be interesting to try and take apart a 12g shell. Started off good I cut the shell open, removed powder wad and the shot. I then tried to knock out the primer, I don't know what I was thinking but I remember hitting the inside of the primer and then my ears were ringing. I think I grew a little wiser and deafer that day.

I remember doing something similar when i was about 12 or 13... this went off in my bedroom...

my hands were shakey and my ears were ringing

Not a bold move

My first time with a primer was when I was 8. I was messing around on the reloading bench against my dad's instructions and spilled some 209's on the floor.

Brilliant little 8 yr old that I was, I decided to hit one with a hammer...

My ears rang the entire time that my mother was ringing a wooden spoon off my ass.

Not a primer but a charge for a powder driven nail gun,

had a few, drilled fitting holes in a piece of wood,

steeped back 15 meters and shot it with my air rifle,

spectacular results and a head that was ringing for ages after.

Best regards Chris

Umm, why use live primers at all?

Fired primers can be recycled/reseated just as easily as live ones.

When I make a dummy, I usually fill the primer pocket with epoxy. For a cosmetic dummy, I take fired primers, remove the anvils, and flatten the firing pin dimple from the inside with a flat punch. When you seat them, they look just like a live primer.

Greg

I did it to make a few snap caps in my .308.

Sounded like a .22 short or something. The neighbors harley was louder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was making snap caps out of reloads and fired off a couple primers. Did not realize how loud they get in a closed garage!! First one I had muffs on didn't sound bad, took off for the second one and then realized some one might call the Po-Po! Freaking loud. Not good to do when the other houses are right on top of you. Wont make that mistake twice. Anyone else ever pull this maneuver? </div></div>

Silly question...why were you making snap caps?

If I have to fire off a primed case I put the muzzle into rags or other clump of something soft like a pillow. Cuts down on the sound

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was making snap caps out of reloads and fired off a couple primers. Did not realize how loud they get in a closed garage!! First one I had muffs on didn't sound bad, took off for the second one and then realized some one might call the Po-Po! Freaking loud. Not good to do when the other houses are right on top of you. Wont make that mistake twice. Anyone else ever pull this maneuver? </div></div>

Silly question...why were you making snap caps? </div></div>

Cheaper to make. And I use them to practice dry firing with in my garage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was making snap caps out of reloads and fired off a couple primers. Did not realize how loud they get in a closed garage!! First one I had muffs on didn't sound bad, took off for the second one and then realized some one might call the Po-Po! Freaking loud. Not good to do when the other houses are right on top of you. Wont make that mistake twice. Anyone else ever pull this maneuver? </div></div>

</div></div>

Was afraid you were going to say that.

You do know that you do NO damage to a centerfire rifle when you dry fire it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was making snap caps out of reloads and fired off a couple primers. Did not realize how loud they get in a closed garage!! First one I had muffs on didn't sound bad, took off for the second one and then realized some one might call the Po-Po! Freaking loud. Not good to do when the other houses are right on top of you. Wont make that mistake twice. Anyone else ever pull this maneuver? </div></div>

</div></div>

Was afraid you were going to say that.

You do know that you do NO damage to a centerfire rifle when you dry fire it? </div></div>

Sweet I did not know that! But it also helps me with getting better at keeping my eye on target when I cycle the ammo

if you are just doing dry firning you can do everything without a round. an advantage witha bummy round is to see if you are flinching or anticipating the recoil.

Its not advisable to vacuum up spent CCI 50BMG primers when there are TWO live primers in the pile. Just one went off INSIDE the vacuum. Startling to say the least.
blush.gif

Years ago I took one and held it into a flame. Not knowing the violent result I am lucky to have both eyes.

WOW those scenarios are crazy! Glad you have both eyes still. All your digits still attached?

Once I grabbed a freshly sized and primed case and ran it through the sizing die again. The decapping pin will cause a primer to fire even though it's hitting it backwards. And it is so fricken loud! Another time I was dragging one of my wood ammo crates that has all my reloading stuff in it across the floor and somehow a fresh primer got stuck in the bottom. Apparently dragging it across the floor got it hot enough to pop. That on scared the crap out of me.

Lt. Arclight,
I haven’t a clue to the size primer. But, 50 BMG it was not,
I Recently had to purchased a Dyson for the wife. Seems the Ole’ Kenmore
couldn’t cut it... I have been put on notice, all vacuuming of the Manroom has
To under go strict supervision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaterInTheSouth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lt. Arclight,
I haven’t a clue to the size primer. But, 50 BMG it was not,
I Recently had to purchased a Dyson for the wife. Seems the Ole’ Kenmore
couldn’t cut it... I have been put on notice, all vacuuming of the Manroom has
To under go strict supervision.
</div></div>

Fortunately my wet/dry vac was unscathed!

Blowing up a $500 Dyson could cause domestic strife!
cool.gif

When I was 13-14 my friends and I were lighting off my dads shotgun powder in the garage (first ass beating there) and we ran out so I grabbed a 209A primer and held a blowtorch to it. Well it blew up and the cup shot out and lodged in my foot (yes I was bare foot). After freaking I had to dig it out and then get my second ass beating from my dad. Never ever did anything like that again other than shooting pistol ammo (trying to hit the primer) with my 22 at about 50 yards. Very very stupid looking back at it.

I popped of a 50bmg primed case without warning my wife,man she was pissed.....kinda funny too.I worked in a ammunition plant a few years ago and we loaded millions or 22lr.As they came off the loading line they went into tubs to go to be packed.I think the tubs held like 50,000 loaded rounds.One day I start hearing popping,run up front and somehow shells in one of the tubs had started going off.People running everywhere,eventually it stopped after about half the tub went off.Nerve racking by itself,but this happened about 30ft from the priming room where there was about 20lbs of PETN paste.

A long time ago I was given 5000 new primers in a glass jar. Since I had no way of knowing what exactly they were I filled a schedule 80 seamless pipe with them, capped it at both ends and shot it with my .300WM. I did this in a rock quarry and the resulting explosion heaved a 4 foot diameter rock off the face of the wall in the quarry. More power than I expected!