• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers do they affect the SDs###

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Do primers have an affect on the SD# with loads. I read the cooler the primer the wider the SD# will be. Is that true. If so what primers would be best for H4831SC and H4350?

Re: Primers do they affect the SDs###

I have found Winchester Large Rifle (WLR) to give good SD/ES using h4831sc and h4350 in my 300wsm. Good defined as in the lows teens on SD. 13 to 14fps if I remember correctly using 4831sc, I don’t remember what the 4350 was but it was comparable.

I don’t know about the cooler burning properties but it stands to reason that a load with good performance could be found with any primer out there as long as it is consistent.

Recently tested a .223 load. Same case, powder and bullet combo, 20 rounds per string. Barrell cleaned between strings:

CCI BR4 SD 12
FED 205GMM SD 22
W-W SR SD 17
Wolf SR SD 8

Best numbers with H4350 came with Rem 9-1/2. That's in .260R.

It's relative to powder adjustment...If powder charge stays the same, primers will cause velocity variation, hence different SD. Tune the powder charge to the primer and look for what your gun likes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do primers have an affect on the SD# with loads. I read the cooler the primer the wider the SD# will be. Is that true. If so what primers would be best for H4831SC and H4350? </div></div>