• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers for .408 --- will any large magnums do?

fracmeister

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2005
Texas
www.troop1960.com
OKay, I have two types of large magnum rifle primers in my inventory. A small amount of WLRM Winchester and a pile of CCI Magnum large rifle primers. Both of these provide excellent performance in my .308 with Reloader 15 (168 gr bullet) but I am going to be using a lot more powder ....a lot more of the slower Reloader 25 in the .408 cartridge and a 420 gr bullet.

I would probably prefer Fed 215 but I can not find them --- is there a serious risk that these large magnum rifle primers won't light up this hand grenade of a cartridge. I am not looking forward to a hang fire with this puppy.

FYI I am going to have someone with .408 loading experience helping me out on these as the jump from .308 and .260s to .408 has me even (more tha a bit) cautious .....

Re: Primers for .408 --- will any large magnums do?

Yeah, you need to use a Magnum primer for sure. I personally have only used the Fed215M, but I've heard of folks (well, at least one guy) using the Wolf primers.

Thought I had found a bunch of F215M for an admittedly high price. Bought 2000 and they showed "in stock" ---turns out in Canada and the next day they reveresed out the order...

maybe I should just hgo get them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I had found a bunch of F215M for an admittedly high price. Bought 2000 and they showed "in stock" ---turns out in Canada and the next day they reveresed out the order...

maybe I should just hgo get them </div></div>

turns out they didnt have them in stock any way (no matter what the first person I spoke with said)

In my opinion, either will work. CCI are good and hot...Winchester has an extra long flame front to ignite their heavily coated ball powders. I'd start with the CCI since you have more of them.