• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers for pistol cartridge in a rifle?

Risingsea

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2020
Paynes Creek
Because of the higher pressures in a rifle barrel vs a pistol barrel would it be feasible to use rifle primers instead of pistol primers in say a .44 magnum rifle? Figuring you would never use the ammo in a pistol.

Not usually.

Small rifle and small pistol primers can be interchanged, at least as far as fitting in yhe primer pocket. Pressures will change. Work up loads with caution. For example, 9Major calls for rifle primers.

Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers. Using large rifle primers in a pistol case may result in high primers (not generally a good thing). Look at dimensions for primer pockets to see the issue

I’ve never had pressure problems shooting standard loads in my 44 Magnum carbine.

Reactions: LR1845
**Edit** ^^^^^above post was posted while I was typing my response^^^^

LRP's are taller than LPP's. The primer pocket in a .44 Magnum is going to be cut to the depth of the LPP. If you use LRP's in a .44 Magnum case, the primers are likely to to be proud of the pocket.

I have read on other forums, reloaders have cut the primer pocket on 44 Mag. cases to the depth of a LRP. I just don't believe it would be a good idea to do that.

You can try seating a couple of LRP's into your 44 cases and see if they can be seated properly. If they seat without crushing them, I would only use them in a Rifle since shooting them in a Revolver, they probably won't go off.