• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primers, quality

Without knowing what your application is, no one can give you a true answer. Some of my 6BR variants that I have competed with like BR4's better than 450's. At 2X the price, I would have a hard time justifying the difference.

In 2011 when I built my first 6.5Creedmoor I ran a test between Fed210, Fed210M, CCI200 & CCI BR2.
The test involved at least 50 rounds of each primer type , tuned with H4350 in Horn brass & Berger140vld.

From that test I decided that for Me I was just fine running regular Fed210 or CCI200 ( these did have slightly different tune per type but shot equally consistent ). There was not enough of a consistent advantage for Me to run either version of the " Match " primers..

In my current 308 I run CCI200 My 6mmCreed barrel ( that was just retired ) ran WLR primers & Current6.5 Creedmoor barrel I run CCI#41 ( small pocket brass ). Non of these are " Match " primers
Average vertical dispersion at 1000yds for all 3 has been less than 4"

YMMV

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Baron23 and simonp
I an picking up primers whenever I can, do you feel cci benches primers are worth it? They are almost 1.5-2x the price of 450 primers

Are they worth it? Compared to not having any, yes they are worth it.

Reactions: simonp
I an picking up primers whenever I can, do you feel cci benches primers are worth it? They are almost 1.5-2x the price of 450 primers
Basically, there's no difference in their performance, just a difference in their consistency. And that difference in consistency is such that it's not very noticeable. That difference in consistency has to do with what's going on with the manufacturing. It's been reported that the most experienced employee(s) at CCI is assigned to processing the match grade primers and the less experience employee's do the others. It's this skill level that accounts mostly for this difference and the additional cost. So, you can expect to get just as good performance out of 450's as BR-4's . . . most of the time. If you're a competitive match shooter, you want as consistent performance as possible just as with the rest of your components. Otherwise, I don't find it good value to pay that much more for match grade primers.

My experience is similar to straightshooter1 but not with CCI as much as Federal and Remington. I found Federal 205 and FGMM 205 to be equal for the most part. I would not pay 1.5 to 2 times for a BR primer unless I'm worried about losing money or a big match for the difference. I currently use Red 7-1/2 SRP and CCI#34 LRP. If Remington doesn't distribute the 7-1/2 I'd probably go to the CCI #41 first. and if that doesn't pan out go to the 450.

Reactions: simonp