• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Printing your own stencils for camo painting

lukeyn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2007
Ohio, USA
Amazon.com: Cricut Expression 2 Electric Cutting Machine: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Looking at printing my own stencils. I purchased some of the bulldog stencils before and it came with only one sheet which isn't enough for a long gun with more than 2 colors..
I plan on painting a few guns in the future and think it might be more cost effective to purchase one of these and print my own than purchase several sheets per firearm.

Wondering what your guys' thoughts are on this.

Tried using the exacto and don't have the knack for it.

Also when I apply the stencils they "leak" so to speak, where the bulldog stencils did not. I got a good paint edge with the stencils but the blue tape, not so much.

From what I read about that cutting machine, I don't think it would be ideal for your application. You can't make custom shapes with it, only what is available on the cartridges you have to purchase separately.

Tried using the exacto and don't have the knack for it.

Also when I apply the stencils they "leak" so to speak, where the bulldog stencils did not. I got a good paint edge with the stencils but the blue tape, not so much.

Yes, blue tape is crap for painting a crisp clean line. They make fine line tape just for leaving a painted fine line that you can get at a good auto store. Or stop by a local vinyl sign maker and see if he has any scraps of vinyl to give you.

Yes, blue tape is crap for painting a crisp clean line. They make fine line tape just for leaving a painted fine line that you can get at a good auto store. Or stop by a local vinyl sign maker and see if he has any scraps of vinyl to give you.

Green tape at the AUTO PAINT STORE is called FROG Tape...extremely good for stencils...

There are programs available to do custom images. IIRC they run about $80 last time I looked. You run them off your pc/laptop. Lets you cut any outline you can load. I too was interested in doing this but other crap got in the way and I put that sort of stuff aside for a while.

Over years, I have become dissatisfied with paint. It just doesn't stand up to wear and tear, and is a pain to 'repair' once it inevitably gets beat to heck.

Rather than doing backflips to obtain an acceptable pattern, I shop around for some of those rolls of Duck Tape that feature an acceptable camo pattern.

I first cover the rifle's stock with a layer of masking tape to serve as a removable base. This protects the stock from that gooey/gummy Duck Tape adhesive buildup. The masking tape stays tacky/removable under the Duck tape; I've checked this after several years with two of my rifles. The edge peels up was needed, then sticks right back on down quite acceptably.

Over that, I apply lengthwise strips of the camo Duck Tape, overlapping as needed to achieve complete coverage. Using the X-Acto, the overall outline gets trimmed to neaten up the total appearance.

Now I know the purists might frown upon my approach, and I say we should let them; to each their own. My view of camo is to provide a pattern that obscures shape recognition and blends with surroundings.

This method does that, and keeps the entire process from escalating into an artwork, which I believe only serves as a motivation to baby the resulting paint job. My rifles are tools, and get handled in a respectful, but workmanlike, manner. The Duck Tape holds up to wear and tear quite well, as opposed to coatings, and can be replaced/repaired without any extensive/complex approach.

In the meantime, the original surface remains neatly and effectively shielded from damage under the tape; and can be restored to its original status by simply peeling off the Duck Tape and masking tape below it as if it were just a single layer.

I have no issue with folks who choose another approach; I only ask that this one be considered before one decides to go with a more intensive technique.

Greg

Last edited:
Craft stores sells self adhesive Frisket that's easy to cut and sticks to curves fairly well.

Grafix Matte All-Purpose Frisket Roll | Shop Hobby Lobby

I used it for doing the stencils on my bike, The tank had recessed sides that normal paper wouldn't conform to.

There's also liquid frisket that's used to paint on the mask. I haven't used it, though, so I can't vouch for its suitability to this purpose. It's really just liquid latex so it should work just fine for paint. I do Cerakoting, though, and doubt it would stand up to oven curing.

Just a thought.

My wife has one of the cricut explore vinyl cutters. Will be giving it a shot this weekend on cutting out stencils for my savage mkII 22lr rifle. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

Blue tape or green tape on parchment paper and an xacto knife and you can freehand stencils fairly easy. Some tiger stripe I did.
47D6404C-E0F2-4C14-86AD-2D3093D0266E.jpeg

Reactions: LooseGoose
I am interested to hear some reports on the cricut usage. I have done plenty of parchment paper and masking tape stencils before but sometimes it gets daunting. I have a fun camo idea I have wanted to try out but don't have the time to freehand the designs so if these cricut things work it might be worth it. That or if someone on here wants to start making stencil packs..hint, hint.