• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prioritizing my Return on Investment

Bro Mo

Open-minded Skeptic
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Just getting into this. Trying to prioritize where and how much I invest. Current rifle is a savage SA in 308win with a heavier barrel than a sporter but not s heavy as a varmint/bull contour. I replaced the plastic stock it came with with a bell carlson m40 and have a sig whiskey 5 2-10x for hunting. I could use some help prioritizing to make this less overwhelming.

1. Ammo (find a decent grouping factory load - Federal seems the best so far, followed by nosler, hornady was bad though)
2. Chronograph/Anemometer
3. Scope (not sure exactly what worry about though - so far I forget which rotation I'm on finding the correct zero)
4. Adjustable comb (stock or added piece)
5. Professional training once I have adequate equipment
6. Reloading equipment

Thoughts and recommendations welcome. I guess it's kind of a "if you had to do it over?" kind of question.

Fit the rifle to you #4 Duck Tape and foam are your friend as you find what works for you.
A note book and pen. Write down what you are doing, why and the result.
Good ammo
Anemometer
Training
Scope
Reloading

Buy good quality stuff the first time IMO will save you in the long run. My first LR Scope was an NF NSX and at the time I had a hard time spending that kind of money on a scope, now 11 years later and thousands of rounds later I can say it was worth every penny. It can be as expensive as you want it but spend quality time and money actually shooting and you will beat the gear guys 99% of the time.

Just getting into this. Trying to prioritize where and how much I invest. Current rifle is a savage SA in 308win with a heavier barrel than a sporter but not s heavy as a varmint/bull contour. I replaced the plastic stock it came with with a bell carlson m40 and have a sig whiskey 5 2-10x for hunting. I could use some help prioritizing to make this less overwhelming.

1. Ammo (find a decent grouping factory load - Federal seems the best so far, followed by nosler, hornady was bad though)
2. Chronograph/Anemometer
3. Scope (not sure exactly what worry about though - so far I forget which rotation I'm on finding the correct zero)
4. Adjustable comb (stock or added piece)
5. Professional training once I have adequate equipment
6. Reloading equipment

Thoughts and recommendations welcome. I guess it's kind of a "if you had to do it over?" kind of question.

Learn to reload. Buy a decent scope. Have a muzzle brake installed. Yes on a adjustable cheek piece and LOP. Get out and shoot, there's no substitute for that, and learning to overcome wind is much of it. There's plenty of info right here on the Hide on shooting form and basics.

I've never taken even one class but instead taught myself by doing, and doing, and doing. My first long range match I outscored one of our most esteemed instructors here.

A lot can be learned simply by shooting a 22rf with a decent long range scope on it.

#1 - Professional training. Even if its just a day or two course. Huge return on investment IMO as you save a lot of time learning stuff that isn't good stuff to learn. Don't send a ton of money on gear until you do the course, cause you will want to change 1/2 of your gear following the course. Find a guy that is close by in the "Training section" of this website. Ed Shell in VA, Freddy Wissing in PA, and Sean Little in TX are three great trainers to get you going if you live in one of those AOs. There are some good books out there too.

#2 - Next if your Whiskey 5 2-10x doesn't have a reticle with either mil's or moa's on it, you need a new optic. If it does, you are all set for now.

#3 - On the adjustable comb, you can get past that with a $30 stock pad from Triad Tactical - that will be good enough to get you going. These adjust by adding or subtracting shims.

#4 - Would hold off on the reloading equipment for now. Why? Do you know what cartridge you are going to be loading for? Is your 308 cartridge really what you want? What if you re-chambered the rifle in 6.5CM and suddenly you don't need the 308 dies, brass, powders, etc. 308 dies are tough to sell as is the brass and powder.

#5 - chrono. Borrow one from a buddy (find someone on here in your AO), or buy an el-cheapo one from Amazon. No need for a $600 unit right now.

#6 - anemometer. Pass on this for now. Environmental are hugely important if you are going 2000 yds or shooting 1000yd benchrest. At your stage, they are too much to worry about. You know what the temp it is and your rough elevation, which will get you close enough for now.

I would also recommend messing around on the free ballistic program from JBM http://www.jbmballistics.com/
Start simple with this one: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi
Mess around with the variables - change this and the ballistics of drop, wind and energy changes such and such. Easy training, free and very educational = high ROI. Ask questions on here as they come up.\

Best of luck. You started the process with a great question...

Since you are presumably staying with the M40 stock you already bought, I agree that a Triad Stock Pack is the best solution to get the right fit and proper cheek weld. Plus they are quick and easy to remove/replace whenever you want to take the bolt out (not so with the tape and foam method).