• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Privately Owned Rifles

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    I just went through the thread on the Quantico shoot. Great job with the pics and thanks to those who took the time to post. That looks like about as much fun as a rifle guy could have.

It also brings to mind a question I have had for years. In VN there were plently of examples of privately owned handguns as well as plenty of issue stuff that was long off the books. Rifles were another story. There were lots of capture weapons that were unusual as well as any number of weapons that came from various agencies or allies. The only privately owned rifle I saw was a Sako in .223 with a Redfield scope.

The Sako belonged to the guy I replaced and I never got more information other than this one and two others were on the LZ that belonged to members of the 173rd. Does anyone else know of any other examples of privately owned rifles?

Re: Privately Owned Rifles

rth, how true. Some stuff is so clear it could have been yesterday and others are so foggy you're hardly sure they happened at all.

It appears I can't make a case for showing up at Quantico with a '60s Sako.

I was commenting on "what is VN". First time I have heard that question.

Not in The Nam but a buddy took his Glock to Iraq and used it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chingon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in The Nam but a buddy took his Glock to Iraq and used it. </div></div>

DoD has been known to authorize privately owned weapons during deployment.

in VN I carried an M-2, one friend carried a thompson and another one an M-3! But we were Seabees and nobody seemed to care what we carried : )I also had a nice AK-47 but didn't carry for fear of drawing friendly fire.

I have seen photos of stacks of Thompson (stacked like cordwood) in Vietnam. Weapons that we left there.
    I ended up with a nice M1A1 carbine folding stock that came from inventory we left behind.

Reactions: camocorvette